When Do You Clean Your Throttle Body?

A3 T

Lord Of The Rings
Reaction score
I just have a quick look and feel when im in the area, since the catch can,,, it has been clean as a whistle...

So you've never taken it off and given it a good clean ?

Is there some sort of service interval for cleaning them?

I cant be the only one.....lol

Don't say you've never done a throttle body alignment with vagcom either :faint:

If someone said to me, can you clean your throttle body and align it......... well then id be truly lost :blink:

Fitted a catch can and then cleaned it once. You could eat your dinner off it since.

As above, once youve fitted a catch can, you shouldnt really have to clean it unless your air filter isnt filtering or you have a split seal on the turbo and its ******* out oil.

Thanks for all the replies ;)

I must admit i expected the replies to be more “I service mine every......” as it seems the thing to do on other forums, Even the guy at audi said it needs doing every once in a while.

Doing a throttle body alignment definitely makes a difference.

I'm pretty OCD with that sort of thing and every time I check, it's clean as a whistle. Maybe they're venting their oily fumes back into the inlet to line it with oil and lower their octane rating. Agree on the TBA though.

I use a mixture of water and methanol to keep mine clean, injected at 250psi after the intercooler every single time I drive the car :lmfao:

Works wonders :laugh:

:racer:

Reactions: Speedy Steve
I use a mixture of water and methanol to keep mine clean, injected at 250psi after the intercooler every single time I drive the car :lmfao:

Works wonders :laugh:

:racer:

This also helps to keep the exhaust tips clean...... well the flames do.

I cleaned my TB and AIT sensor once before I fitted a catch can as both were pretty manky but as said above, the catch can sorts all that out.

I cleaned my TB and AIT sensor once before I fitted a catch can as both were pretty manky but as said above, the catch can sorts all that out.

At least I've found someone else that's done it....lol

i used to clean my TB once a year or so, but since fitting WMI is all stays shiney clean

I'm cleaning mine tomorrow but only abit as I don't have a new gasket for it. My car went to limp mode because of the manky oil. Damn shizzle PCV system!!

iv cleaned mine a few times but as said above no need to now since fitting a catch can and WMI cleaning every thing for me.

i used to just spray it with carb cleaner then rub it down with a rag then re align with vag com

Should be first as its the cheapest of the 3 todo haha.