B8 When Cold Car Jumps/Bumps On Full Lock

YodasMyDad

Reaction score
Hi - I have a 2014 RS4 Avant. With all the cold weather, I have noticed something concerning. When it's cold, and I try to reverse or manoeuvre out of a tight stop (Go either full or near full lock).

The car jumps/bumps as if I am driving over a lot bumps in the road or as if I have a buckled wheel. Once I've driven 50 metres or so up the road it doesn't do it again and it's fine?

Cold diff/oil? My 8L had a Haldex issue that locked up the inside rear on full lock... was more than concerning hearing/feeling the resistance pulling out of a tight junction.

Its the bumping/jumping/Wobble that's concerning. The only way to best describe it, is imagine you had a really buckled wheel and you were turning at full lock. I'll get in contact with Audi and see what they say.

I've noticed similar in my 3.0TDI mainly in car parks, especially on snow & wet leaves, never whilst drving on the road though. I don't think its a fault, just poor design.

I put it down to wheel geometry on full lock not being optimal. It should not do it, but IMHO Audi are rather s*** when it comes to steering, enough to make me think again before I buy another. The overall steering feel & the OTT sensitivity spoils an otherwise great car. The dealer & Audi are not interested in fixing it either, they taken my money so they happy.

Still, I'm interested what they tell you?

Last edited:
this is down to diff grabbing when the oli is cold, can also be caused by old or low oil levels in the diff's. I had it really bad with my current B6 S4 so had the diff and gearbox all properly replaced (flushed etc.) and the problem was drastically reduced, still hapens a bit on cold mornings but not so noticable during the summer, had the car nearly 3 years and it expected.

I have just taken delivery of a new B8 RS4 and it does exactly the same thing, I put the slighty worse effect to the addition of the 20" rims into the mix but essentially its the same thing, I expect it to reduce in the summer, it never does it when hot.

I really worried about this when I 1st epxienced it and was expecting big bills, but its ok and expected.

Hi - I have a 2014 RS4 Avant. With all the cold weather, I have noticed something concerning. When it's cold, and I try to reverse or manoeuvre out of a tight stop (Go either full or near full lock).

The car jumps/bumps as if I am driving over a lot bumps in the road or as if I have a buckled wheel. Once I've driven 50 metres or so up the road it doesn't do it again and it's fine?

It is quite normal, it is the diffs binding up when cold, it is nowhere near as noticeable on a warm car.

It is quite normal, it is the diffs binding up when cold, it is nowhere near as noticeable on a warm car.

Even worse with 20" wheels and 30 profile tyres, my B6 S4 does the same but its has 18" wheels and 35 profile tyres its not as bad, Its diff binding plus front suspension geomerty.

My mate has a 2013 Boxter S with 20" wheels and that's even worse and there is no diff on the front axle obviously, this is purley down to the aggressive front suspension geometry setup. Porche educate there owners who spec 20" wheels so they expect this.