Wheels painted or powder coated?

JDM82

Reaction score
Was thinking of getting my alloys done in some sort of grey. Was going to get them powder coated but my friend has told me his business now does wheels but they are painted. I've seen some wheels he has done and they look great but I think powder coating is better isn't it?

Or are painted wheels ok?

Any advice or comments would be great, thanks in advance :icon_thumright:

Painted is fine but powder coated is better its a harder finish i think !

i always go PC
paint is fine if the painter knows what hes doing

Paint is fine but make sure you use a two pack lacquer to finish them off to protect them .

I had my wheels painted. The paint just peeled off so sent them back and they done them again, and now the paint has started to come off again.
I would say it would be okay if the guy knows what hes doing like bez says but id be safe and go with powder coat

My wheels were chemically stripped, filled, prepped, powder coated, painted then laquered. As you can imagine its better than a factory finnish.
Answer to your question:- Do it correct the first time or you will have to do it again.

If you're going for one solid colour and you're looking at paying for both, personally i would go powder coated.

the only advantage of paint is you can have more than one colour. Powder coating is a much stronger finish and takes some chipping.

a slight kerb on painted wheels will cause the surrounding are to flake.

I think its powder coating for me then, thanks for the replies guys :icon_thumright:

powder coating is a stronger finish but if you kerb you wheels whether their painted or powder coated they will chip regardless.
i always paint my wheels and have never had a problem with any flaking even when i have caught a kerb :-( if the wheels are prepped properly so the paint that you are applying can key properly then they will not flake,
as mentioned above always use 2k products never use 1k or airdry paint/laquer as that does tend to crack up and flake.
In short if the painter knows what he is doing and uses the right paint you will be fine .