1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheels and tyre sizes.

Discussion in 'Handling' started by S3Steve, Jan 11, 2006.

1. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

Ive been looking into upgrading the wheels on my S3 and cant decide between 18 or 19" wheels but definately want to keep the weight the same or lower than the originals to keep the unsprung weight down, any suggestions? Having looked through the forums people using 19" on their S3's seem to use 235/35/19 tyres, would 225/35/19 not be better as this is closer to the original rolling diameter, and also a narrower tyre as lots of people seem to comment on keeping wheel width down to 8"?
  2. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

If you are into the handling department, then light weight 18s are the way to go, but if you are after looks, then 19s are the way to go.
  3. S3Steve

S3Steve Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are into the handling department, then light weight 18s are the way to go, but if you are after looks, then 19s are the way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would like both! Ive looked into MTM Bimoto's and they weigh 14kg per wheel (8.5x19) which is the same as the original Avus 17. Obviously a set that weigh less than standard would be even better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
  4. s3bow

s3bow Member

BBS seem to be the lightest, or one of.
    Bimotos are good, but sooo expensive. I've got the 007 19s on my S3, and although heavier, don't seem to have made much difference to the ride or handling. Or maybe I'm not pushing hard enough !

Chris.
  5. dunk

dunk Member

19" will probably spoil the ride as well - 18" are ok with uprated suspension though.