wheel wobble over 60mph?

frank s3

Reaction score
hi guys got a slight problem i cant seam to fix ive had this issue since ive had the car really and its starting to wind me up:( ive changed all bushes the front arb 4 new tyres+balancing new track-rods and ball joints and had four wheel alignment done ive felt for play etc and cant find any car drives lovely but as you gather speed its just gets exaggerated ANY help will be much appreciated

If it gets worse with speed I'd imagine it is the wheel bearing..?

Any spacers on? Cheap spacers will cause wobble. Also check the condition of the brake discs, if they're warped they'll wobble and could upset the wheels too.

i see you've changed the tyres, but have you changed the wheels themselves? Try swapping the wheels around and seeing if the wobble changes position. Balancing with new tyres won't necessary cure a buckled wheel - get them checked or try some other wheels if you can.

I had exactly the same problem on mine, 4 new wheels solved it instantly

yes ive have had different wheels on and same thing my discs don't seam warped will check with a straight edge tomorrow and yes i do have 10 mm front and 15 rear spacers on and had the car aligned with these on would this be an issue?? thanks for your input fellas

Some cheap spacers can cause wobble, hubcentric ones shouldn't.

funny you should say that they were hub centric till i took the front off and the cetric pice had failed :( im yet to replace but fairly sure this issue was there b4 thre spacers be so happy if its the spacers!

Failed? Sounds like you may have a culprit here. Take off the spacers and try again, pretty easy one to at least test.

Sorry for the essay...

sometimes the chamfer around the base of the locating ring doesn't properly locate in the wheel because the spigot in the wheel has a different chamfer.

I had this issue with HnR 8mm Hubcentric spacers. The chamfer around the base of the ring was 7mmx45° but the depth of the spigot in my wheels was slightly less than 7mm (I measured about 6.5mm with a calliper which meant that the face of the spacer could not sit flush to the wheel giving me wheel wobble. It wasn't an obvious misfit and i was completely unaware of it until i lay my wheel face down on the ground placed the spacer in the back of the wheel and stood on it. Because of the misfit i could rock the spacer around by changing the position of my bodyweight which is what was happening at 60mph - wheel wobble

This is why i changed to a 10mm spacer that had a 5mmx45° chamfer at the base of the locating ring and problem was solved...

Example picture:

Screenshot 6

Here the picture is showing the requirement to fit over the locating lip on the wheel hub of your car as well as your wheel spigot depth

I would guess that wheel wobble caused by a mis-fitting spacer would cause the hubcentric/locating ring to fail

:) hope that helps

they failed in when i removed my wheels last the ring have snaped off the centre and was stuck or held in the wheel by the spigot ring and is now curently being centred by the taper of the bolt that hold the wheel