Wheel spacers again

JustCharlie

Reaction score
OK fellas, first of my questions, can't help but notice the rear wheels are well inside the rear arches on the S3, I've read a few of you are usin spacers to sort this, if so what size, where from, what make, just rear or front as well, sorry for all the questions, probably answered elsewhere and asked loads of times:zen:

I've got 10mm all round (20mm per axle) H&R Hub cetrics.
Front are fine, the rears have rubbed very occassionallly on what can be best described as 'rally stage' roads whilst visiting the folks on the North Yorkshire moors and attacking the roads. Day to day driving I've not had an issue, but I am going to change the screw in the rear arch liners as they appear to the culprit... should be no issue after that.

Some have run 12mm on the back and had no rubbing, but 15mm does rub. I think L60N and jonnyc could give you more info on that - I think they cured it with some modifications to the rear wheel arch liner.... It does look better with the 15mm on in my opinion.

Damian @ DPM has sorted most out on this forum - great price, prompt service and answered a barrage of questions from me! He supplies the spacers with the correct legth bolts, but you'll need to get new locking wheel bolts.
I got McGards a size CH17 - 14 x 1.5 x 40

Hope that helps.

J

I might have some 10mm for sale with bolts, never been used yet... (Now sold!)

I want wider for the rear, probably 15mm :arco:

cheers for the speedy replies, looks like 15mm and a bit of a trim then, because I don't want to do it twice and the wheels and the way they sit are the main issue for me and my new ride:rockwoot:

To help your decision:

Mine with 10mm all round:
P1010564.jpg

P1010571NR.jpg

P1010570NR.jpg

cheers fellas, any rubbing issues with the 15mm rears?

cheers fellas, any rubbing issues with the 15mm rears?

oooh yes, you need to remove a screw and file down some of the plastics, sounds serious, but its a minor job that wont affect teh exterior look of the car... Also i get rubbing from the 10mm's at the front in extreme situations, like a big dip in the road, or plunging off a speed hump, it can be seen by the scrape marks on my front tyres...

I've just put 10mm spacers on the back of mine. The position of the rear wheels within the arches are the only thing i don't like about the look of the A3 S-line/S3.
The Golf GTI and R32's have perfectly offset wheels so i just don't get it?! When the wheels are properly spaced it finishes the car in my opinion. I've recently painted the calipers and fitted spacers and it now looks how it should straight from the factory.... Then i'm selling it lol.
I'd like to space them by more than 10mm on the rear but it's just a hassle if i've got anyone in the back.

Also i get rubbing from the 10mm's at the front in extreme situations, like a big dip in the road, or plunging off a speed hump, it can be seen by the scrape marks on my front tyres...

Interesting - i've never had this!
How big are the speed humps up there :wacko:

I've a feeling lowering my car next week will highlight a lot of this stuff for me...... :(

15mm rear, 10mm front:

Fronts:

Rear - p00 pic sorry

that looks spot-on pal, your car looks mint, giving me the fix I need before mine arrrives.
its probably been explained before, but what exactly needs trimming for the 15mm spacers on the rear

There is a screw under the arch which protrudes into the arch, this is where the tyre tends to catch.

THis pic illustrates it for you:

I have removed the screw, then filed back the plastic so its flush with the rest of the liner (Before it stuck out to accomodate the fat headed screw :)

You can choose to refix it with a smaller headed screw if you wish, i havent bothered as the bumper is a very snug fit and hasnt moved as yet without it.

Jamie, I cant say that the bumps are any larger than your typical ones. To be honest , i havnt noticed it over a speed bump, that was merely an example of when it may happen.

However when ive gone over a big dip in the road at speed (typically on a motorway) Ive heard a slight scrape which i thought was coming from the front. Anyway, a look at my tyres confirmed that the fronts definately rub!!

Interesting!
Will have to have a look - thanks.

Have a look at your tyres Jamie, if they are catching you will see tell tale signs around the edge of the tyre for sure... Its only slight but you will be able to see it... Or maybe you wont, i suppose it comes down to your driving style as much as anything..

I'm ordering 15mm for the rear now... plus I'm tempted to get some H&R lowering springs too, plus then get the camber?? adjusted so the catching might happen bit less... would that help??

I've got 10mm on the front. 15mm on the rear.
Had serious rubbing before even without rear passengers but not anymore...

Improves the looks of the whole car sooo much because i took them off yesterday as the car is going to Audi and man does it look weird without.
BIG BIG difference... can't believe how IN the wheels are!
Spacers enhance the whole look of the car.

10mm all round if you don't want to modify the arch....
but 15mm on the rear if you want to make it look that slight bit better.

I picked mine up from the TTshop in Bedford. They are H&R ones and include all bolts and locking wheel nut.

Have a look at your tyres Jamie, if they are catching you will see tell tale signs around the edge of the tyre for sure... Its only slight but you will be able to see it... Or maybe you wont, i suppose it comes down to your driving style as much as anything..

Hang on - are you implying I drive like an OAP?
:weight_lift2:
:aggressive:

:lmfao:

In fairness - 80% of my driving is either crawling round London, or cruising up the M1. Will have a look for the tell tales. I'm going to try and replace the screw on the rear arch (does anyone know if there is a specific one you need to get???) - will try and work out what catches on the front arch (if anything on mine!).

J

Have you all got the same make of tyres, it can make a big difference, although they maybe the same size, the shape can differ a great deal between manufacturers, this can explain why some people get rubbing issues with the same set-up as others who don't

Never thought of that.
Continental - Sport Contact 2's on mine

I think mine are Michelin Pilot Exalto tyres...

My sidewall seems to round over a bit if you get me, so rubbing might not be a big problem, will soon see anyway :yes:

I think mine are Michelin Pilot Exalto tyres...

My sidewall seems to round over a bit if you get me, so rubbing might not be a big problem, will soon see anyway :yes:

Mine are Exalto's too.

p.s. Jamie ya OAP! theres 6 gears in there you know?!? :p

that could explain it, when I had my ED30 lowered on coilovers, some of the other lads with similar spec were gettin more rubbing than me, I was using toyo's which have a really slanted sidewall were as some other tyres are very square if you know what I mean

Picture007.jpg

before

Image018.jpg

after oops

p.s. Jamie ya OAP! theres 6 gears in there you know?!? :p

It youths like you that flash your lights and gesture at me for taking 20 miles to pass a car on the A1 - the over taking lane is not a race track you know and the limit is 70mph - I won't be pressured in to going any faster....

Speaking of which, any one know of a good product to hold my false teeth in when I get my new springs on next week??? Could be a bumpy ride!

:no:
:whistle2:
:lmfao:

not a thing pal, it went to salvage the day after, never got a chance, 10 day old full milltek and APR fuel pump:mad:

long story but no, just got full invoice to new price on the car which under the circumstances I was happy with

I guess it could've been worse!
Can you say what happened.... off topic I know.

I came round a blind corner/rise on some country lanes late at night and found a car stopped waitin for the a car in front to turn right, I couldn't stop in time hit him up the @rse which caused my back end to flip round into the on-coming traffic and a van comin the other way knocked me back where I came from.
totally hold my hand up and am just glad no-one was hurt

Image007.jpg

Image014.jpg

Image017.jpg

Classic example why i hate blind bends/summits...

Saw somthing similar happen to a guy in a Lotus Exige, he overtook lots of cars (me included) and was clearly "going for it"....

Trouble is he didnt plan on the roadworks lights round a corner which had a dozen or so cars at a standstill, the car was a mess, as was he...

where's the best place to but the wheel spacers from fellas

Thanks for the contact details for DPM, just e-mailed Damian to see what deal he can do me on a set of four 10mm spacers :) .

Phil

Thanks for the contact details for DPM, just e-mailed Damian to see what deal he can do me on a set of four 10mm spacers :) .

Phil

No sweat dude - you won't be disappointed - they do so much for the stance of the car..... it's another one where you have to wonder why they didn't come out of the factory that way!

No sweat dude - you won't be disappointed - they do so much for the stance of the car..... it's another one where you have to wonder why they didn't come out of the factory that way!

So you dont scrub your tyres on the arches??

Sorry, a little bit of sour grapes maybe, purely becuase Demain categorically told me in a PM that they wouldnt rub yet all 4 corners do...

I beleive in business honesty is the best policy... ah well. at least the car looks good :blush:

So you dont scrub your tyres on the arches??

Sorry, a little bit of sour grapes maybe, purely becuase Demain categorically told me in a PM that they wouldnt rub yet all 4 corners do...

Hey L60N - I get a little bit of scrubbing on the back, but I'm going to change the screw eventually for a smaler one. It only scrubs when pushing on REALLY hard on very bumpy roads. I've never noticed the fronts and haven't got round to checking the tyres yet. Do you still get scrubbing even with your arch mods???

15mm do look better though!

I changed the screw on the rear with my 15mm ones and it still rubbed....

I also took the screw out and it still rubbed!!!

Go for 10mm and save butchering your car!