1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Sizes

MickA3 Oct 21, 2004

1. Add7

Add7 Member

Cheers!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

2. MickA3

MickA3 Member

cheers everyone for all the help- think the 18s look sweet even with standard suspension- the only issue is that the 18s will rob me of the little bit of acceleration i have!! and the rumours of gearbox trouble etc
    would 17s look small under the arches though- RS4 replicas is what i'm goin for- the spokes go to the edge so should give the illusion of a big wheel, even in 17, anyway.....

3. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

Cant say ive ever heard of gearbox problems caused by bigger wheels!

Rich

4. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

or decreased acceleration , same rolling radius with the tyre sizes youve mentioned.

5. MickA3

MickA3 Member

yeah, the wheel diameter is exactly the same on 225/40/17 and pretty much the same on 225/45-18....but its the difference in weight, the weight at the wheels has worse effect than weight in the car- i've been told that the 18s would be like carrying a passeneger all the time- although i suppose how much more would an 18 weigh than a 17??

6. Add7

Add7 Member

mate in my opinion i wouldnt worry about the extra bit of weight.

If you were that worried about speed. you would not have gone for the 1.6. So i wouldnt worry.

Go 18's Go.

Lol

7. MickA3

MickA3 Member

Thanks everyone for all your input- i'm goin ahead and getting 225/40-18 RS4 with Uniroyal Rainsport on Saturday! Looking forward to getting them on- anything i should look out for buying the RS4 replica??

8. MickA3

MickA3 Member

I know what ya mean- RS4 are quite common but i think they really suit the A3- thought about S3 type as well....i definitely want to car to have a genuine audi feel to it (so only considered replicas)....RS4 with Audi type logo'd centre caps does the job!!
    Any alternative suggestions anybody has are welcome!!

9. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

porsche style rims - still keepin that germen feel to it all ! And they look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

10. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    porsche style rims - still keepin that germen feel to it all ! And they look sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

Also conside MTM Bimoto wheels.. Rochford do replicas of these i believe are called 007's

Rich

11. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

Did someone say Porsche rims?... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. StephenBogan

StephenBogan Member

[ QUOTE ]
    jimboA3 said:
    and to think ! i honestly belived you had 22.5" rims "with markers " lmao !:D

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, ha. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

13. RichA3Turbo

[ QUOTE ]
    martin black S3 said:
    Hi, what mods are you running to get that 14.5 1/4 mile time?

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont need any... a standard S3 can do this!

Rich

14. martin3310

martin3310 New Member

I may try the 17's for a faster time then, I spoke to someone with the same chip as me and he got a 13.8 on standard wheels, just for info when I ran that 14 second quater an AmD chipt R32 ran 14.4 next to me