Wheel Sizes

MickA3

Reaction score
Hows it goin! i've just bought myself a 2001 A3 1.6L Ambiente- i'm chuffed to bits with it but want to switch the standard wheels for possibly RS4 replicas or S3 replicas- does anyone know what the max size i could fit- i'd like to put a set of 225/45-17 on.....i've checked it out and the 17s would be 0.8inch bigger in diameter than the originals- will there be any negative effects to fitting the 17s- i don't want to damage the car!!!! thanks for any advice!!!

if im not wrong. i think 19" is the biggest? 17's and 18's easy.

Correct me if im wrong people.

IMO, 19's are too big... Although it does depend on what you are looking for. I think on the S3, 19;s look good as they match the chunky arches...but as long as they are filled with brakes! If not they just look daft!

On the A3, same thing with brakes... Too much free space without. 18's are optimum.

18's id say are the best compromise between looks and performance

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:
17x10 ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif not that im biased ! lol!

[/ QUOTE ]

Short and fat boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Cheers, i think 19s wouldn't look right either- its definitely between 17s and 18s-
is 225 width ok for an A3??

I don't intend loweing the car after past experience so taking that into account...225/45/17 or 225/40/18???

will there be major lose of comfort with 18s??

i appreciate the help- i posted on www.audiforums.com and audi-forums.com and didn't receive a single reply!!!!!!!!! Looks like i'm in the right place now!!

[ QUOTE ]
MickA3 said:
Cheers, i think 19s wouldn't look right either- its definitely between 17s and 18s-
is 225 width ok for an A3??

I don't intend loweing the car after past experience so taking that into account...225/45/17 or 225/40/18???

will there be major lose of comfort with 18s??

[/ QUOTE ]

18's all the way! need 225/40ZR18 tyres. And you can easily lower it still! Im running 18's with H&R 50mm springs and dont catch on anything! I dare'nt try and park on a curb though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

rich can you have 3 people in the back of yours without rubbing?

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
I think the comment was that 19s were rather large for an A3, and that the larger arches of the S3 suited the bigger and more bling wheel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In my opinion, 18s 'look' perfect on an S3...whilst 19s 'look' too big.

It looks like a rollerscate with bus wheels fitted.
(albeit a very high power bus and a very bling set of wheels!)

I'm sure however, that the reflection of the car in the local wine bar window, makes 19s look top notch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:It looks like a rollerscate with bus wheels fitted.
(albeit a very high power bus and a very bling set of wheels!)

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's yellow... it's an american school bus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think ImolaS3's car looks just right, maybe its the style of the wheel and suspension set up but it works really well. The wheels fill the arches nicely and the car still looks low.

On the other hand i've seen some 19" wheels on A3/S3's with std suspension and they start looking like double axelled (spell?) caravans on stilts!

cheers for the advice- i'm edging towards 225/40/18- only problem is i have to travel back roads and not sure if the comfort will deteriorate....would 225/45/17 be a lot more comfortable?????

I think its more likely that your suspension set-up will effect the ride comfort more than wheel size. 18's should be fine.

On a side note, anyone remember when 15" trispokes where considerd big on R5 GTT's and alike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

I would go for the 225/40/18 over the 225/45/17.

I have both, and the 18s handle much better than the 17s - the difference is not subtle either, with the 18s there is less sidewall movement resulting in sharper turn in and less movement through corners. The ride is not appreciably different. Having switched back to the 17s this week whilst some modifications are being done to the 18s, I notice the car feeling floaty, less precise to place in corners and less stable and confident. There is more body roll and less steering feel.

The 18s are running a truly awful set of Avon ZZ-1s, so a well chosen tyre such as a Toyo or Goodyear F1 should reap even bigger advantages.

Of course, thats on an S3, with trick suspension and aggressive suspension geometry too. But given the magnitude of the difference, it's reasonable to beleive that the same principles should apply to the A3, but to a lesser extent.

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:
it's reasonable to beleive that the same principles should apply to the A3, but to a lesser extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The difference is just as noticable! Everything feels more 'connected' with the 18's, and is definately worth going for over the 17's!

Would 0-60/100 Or quater mile times be different with 17 or 18" Wheels? e.g will 17's be overall faster on a 1.8T Sport due to the smaller wheel size?

Sorry to go on about it...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

YOGi

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pmsl ! All the ladies love the extra girth ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:
[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
jimboA3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Pmsl ! All the ladies love the extra girth ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Wheels are really down to personnal opinion. For every person that likes your wheels you may find 3 that don't and viesa versa. To me 19s on a A3 to big, on an S3, different story. I mean no wine bar is complete without a S3 with the Bling!

those wheels suit the car really well but you must have lowered it - right?

Steve,

I hope those fluffy dice are a p*ss take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
Steve,

I hope those fluffy dice are a p*ss take /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

NOPE! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Started out as a laugh but then I thought f**k it, the cars got that much class it can afford to loose a little! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:
those wheels suit the car really well but you must have lowered it - right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Aye, about 30mm.

The car beside me is my Dads 330ci, think he's trying to keep up?!

Dads are like that! I got a 911 4S, my dad bought this:
At least i get to use/pose in it! Its simply awesome!

Don't my dad know it 10 mph everywhere so everybody see him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Stunning! I wish I was rich!

[ QUOTE ]
nervus said:

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

sorry to go on about this but i'm still unsure what to go for- seeing as the car is only a 1.6 if i put the 18s on it i'll probably lose the bit of acceleration i have- maybe the 225/45-17 would be a compromise with style and without killing my acceleration??????????......or should i just go for 18s for the better handling and style?????????

Also was told the 18s would eventually result in gearbox, bearing etc problems.....what ya reckon?

anyone any pics of 17s on standard suspension and likewise 18s....

HERE YOU GO!

18's on standard sus! Needs lowering in my opinion!

[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
HERE YOU GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice car you got matey. Not into body kits, but that one looks very OEM. Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:
[ QUOTE ]
Audi A3 1.8TS said:
HERE YOU GO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice car you got matey. Not into body kits, but that one looks very OEM. Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats becuase it is OEM - well kinda ! Same kit as i have , projektzwo , was offered as a dealer extra:)