wheel size. and lowering

Adam-D

Reaction score
for 17" and 18"

what is the best width, offset and tyre size for each. that wont cause rubbing
cheers as i dont fancy using spacers :thumbsup:

stock size for 17" is 7.5J ET45, as fitted to the S4 and 1.8TQS, with 225/45r17 tyres

As for 18's its a bit random.

Most people tend to go for 8x18 at ET35, but i personally think thats a bit excessive in terms of the wheel sticking out (half inch wider plus 10mm lower offset means it sticks out 16mm further than the above mentioned 17" rim).

Unfortunately if you stick with ET45, the wheels are most likely going to foul on the suspension, and the car wont move. ET40 might work, but i'm not sure.

''Most people tend to go for 8x18 at ET35, but i personally think thats a bit excessive in terms of the wheel sticking out (half inch wider plus 10mm lower offset means it sticks out 16mm further than the above mentioned 17" rim). ''

tis what I am running with 225/40/18 tyres looks ok

i had 8x18 et35 before (on my s8 reps) and they were really close to the arches (lowered to the max on coilies) although i never heard them catch - i also had to use a thin spacer (2mm-3mm) on the rear because they didn't fit my 3rd party replacement discs. the rs4 replicas i have now are 8x18 et42 and there are no issues at all.

stock size for 17" is 7.5J ET45, as fitted to the S4 and 1.8TQS, with 225/45r17 tyres

As for 18's its a bit random.

Most people tend to go for 8x18 at ET35, but i personally think thats a bit excessive in terms of the wheel sticking out (half inch wider plus 10mm lower offset means it sticks out 16mm further than the above mentioned 17" rim).

Unfortunately if you stick with ET45, the wheels are most likely going to foul on the suspension, and the car wont move. ET40 might work, but i'm not sure.

I think the stock tqs 17's are great.. I'd be quite happy with those.

I ran OEM 18x8J ET43 5 spoke rs6's for years. 225/40 profile.
work a treat. a good 5mm space all round near strut, no clearnace issues at all

i used to run 8x18 et48s with a 225 40 no problems with inside fouling anything

I now run 9.5x18 rears offset 35 with standard arches
fronts 8.5x18 et 32 with rolled arches

you will have to roll the fronts to run low with any size rears are very accomodating

It does however depend largely on what your idea of "low" is

is your car a quattro phil?

I dont think theres enough room on the rear of a quattro to get such a wide wheel on without using a very low offset...

mine is 2wd avant, im not going silly low. just so there is a small gap from where the tyre ends, then the arch is,

just so it looks right
i have 17's now with 235.45 tyres,
but i was looking into 18's as it would fill the arch better

well it wouldnt fill the arch better, you'd just have more wheel and less tyre...

the overall rolling circumference should be kept the same, and the 235/45's you have on just now are slightly too large, which will affect your speedos accuracy. Although they all overread from new anyway, just means it will now overread less.

Another thing you should conside with going to 18's and in some respects even 17's is the increase in ride harshness from the extremely low profile tyres. the 55's are about the limit you want to goto before you start getting negative effects, the 45's on the 17's will be much harsher, and are also more prone to damage on potholes etc.
The 40 profile tyres on the 18's will be even worse.

I guess some people dont mind it, but i find the car, on stock suspension and 55 profiles is already pretty hard over bumps, and i dont really fancy a return to my hot hatch days of bone jarring suspension!

I found that my 19" fit very very nicely, with 235/35 tyres and its lowered 40mm + on Eibach springs.

IMG_0022.jpg

you could get 9" rears on a quattro at a squeeze so long as you ran lower offset wheels and had appropriate arch work done.
I have ET24 8.5" rims with 245/40 tyres and there is probably room for another 1/2" of wheel with the appropriate tyre choice.

It is tyre choice on 18"s that affect you ability to run wide rims, the wheel itself has lots of room but as the struts curve back out to the top they will foul the tyres.
the lower the profile and narrower width will help you.

ET20-25 8.5" rears and 255/35 is the recommended size for RS4's (obviously wider arches stops arch rubbing) the quattro stuts are the same

I'm running 255/35x18 @ ET 20, car is on Bilstein Sport dampers (yellow) in conjunction with Eibach Pro springs. It's no harsher than the original 205/55x16 @ ET 45 set-up, which I ran with the OEM Sport suspension.

I think it's more how low the suspension is, and what sort of bushes are fitted to the control arms, or if the OEM bushes still exist.

I would love to put some Porsche Turbo's on it!
there is a good video of a black B5 RS4 on Porsche turbo wheels in the snow.
looks very cool.
wouldn't be interested in 9" fronts though, tramlines pretty hard as it is!