Wheel options...

fairzy

Reaction score
Well 2 weeks into S3 ownership and I love it so far!

Unfortunately, my car has been off the road for the last few days being serviced etc but should hopefully be ready in the next day or two. To cheer up myself in the meantime I've been busy sourcing parts including some TT-RS wheels which could do with a refurb.

There are a few options and wondered what you think?

Option 1 - normal refurb – I don’t think there is anything major that needs doing, they just need to be stripped down / painted. Is there anyone recommended around the MK area? How much would it typically be – I’ve seen a quote for £220 + Vat which seems expensive.

Option 2 – DIY refurb – I’ve just read a quick ‘How To’ and it seems quite simple, especially as there isn’t too much damage. Has anyone done this? Are there any recommendations for products to use?

Option 3 – DIY refurb (with paint) – Another option was to refurb the wheels and paint them… white. My S3 is ming blue and I thought ming blue with white RS wheels could look ‘different’. Is anyone good with PS who wouldn’t mind knocking up a sample?

I’ll get some pics once I’ve got it back – hopefully later this week!

I personally would paint them yourself that way its cheaper, if you dont like the colour you can do it again and if you pay all that money to get someone else to referb them and you clip a kerb and scuff them again ull be pretty ****** off, iv dun my wheels myself 3 times now, is pretty easy and has very good results.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Painting myself was my first thought. What paint do you use? Just normal primer / body paint and then lacquer?

no need to primer really, i just used a scotch pad to take shine off existing paint to make new paint stick, put a couple layers of paint (cans i used) and a couple coats of laquer then jobs a good 1! i put the cans in a jug of hot water to get the paint nice and warm so spreads nicely with no spitting out of can. good luck with them and remember to post pics! you cant go wrong just dont go over the top wiv laquer or you will get runs!

Thanks mate, I'm getting them this weekend so will start prepping them then.

Can anyone knock-up a photoshop of white RS wheels on a blue S3? It would be really appreciated.

I would get them blasted and powder coated white will last a hell of alot longer than just normal paint! cost i would say around 150-200

After seeing pics of Dans wheels and the DIY job he has done, i would go down that route too....looks pretty easy and a DAMN SIGHT cheaper too...

I'm getting them this weekend so will see what condition they are in, although DIY definately sounds like the best option at the moment.

They'll also need a full set of tyres, any suggestions where to buy from?

I'm after cheap but not ditchfinders... :)

Mytyres do some for about £60 + £12 per wheel fitting, is that about right?

Mytyres are pretty good and thats about the going price, but if i were you, i would hold out and get a decent set of tyres, they are not going to be ALOT more than what you are paying, for that extra piece of mind and grip, its defo worth it.