1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Offset

Discussion in 'A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)' started by imported_kkline, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Do any of you guys run a 18x8 wheel with ET42 offset on SLine suspension. If so are you having any problems?

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

KKline,

I'm sorry to say this: While still on my S-Line springs (-25mm from std, or -10mm from Sport), my front 225/40/18 tyres, mounted on 18 x 8" ET 45 wheels rubbed.

They rubbed when in full compression, i.e. when taking a hard turn with a bump at its apex. The rubbing came from a screw head located just inside the fender (at the tip of my finger in the photo):

[​IMG]

Now, there is a solution: simply unscrew this torx-headed screw and, using a 4" wide piece of tubing, "roll" the metal tab back into the fender. Be careful not to bend the fender out of shape!

Since doing this, I have considerably lowered the car, and have 0 rub issues, even on full compression:

[​IMG]

I am afraid that a 45 ET really is the maximum, and that an ET 42 will touch the actual fender. I have not tried it however, so I cannot be 100% certain...

Hope this helps,
    Ben

4. Thanks for the help. Trying to decide on some wheels.

5. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

But oettinger offer 8J and 8.5J wheels with ET35 offset for the A3. How do they get away with it? Raise the suspension from S-line levels? But I'm sure I've seen their demo cars with suspension even lower than the S-line.

http://www.oettinger.de/index2_e.htm

6. JaminBen

JaminBen Member

Karcsi, I honestly don't know the answer to that: I can only relay the information I gathered first-hand. Oetinger do show their cars slammed to the ground, with very-high offset wheels. Do they rub? I don't know. Perhaps a quick email to them is in order.

Richy used to run 19x8 or 8.5 wheels, lowered. Maybe a search for his past posts is in order...?

Cheers,
    Ben

7. Cupramax

Cupramax Uber pimp meister

[ QUOTE ]
    But oettinger offer 8J and 8.5J wheels with ET35 offset for the A3. How do they get away with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

They've made a mistake then, those will fit an old shape A3 but not a new shape.... Just looking at the wheels section they do an ET45 as well...

8. Karcsi

Karcsi Member

I'm sure you're right. ET35 seems way to too much.