1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Offset Problem??

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by hitby, Dec 5, 2004.

1. hitby

hitby New Member

Hi, I recently bought an 96 Audi A4 1.9TDi Avant running on 17s with 215/45ZR17 tyres. However, I took the front two wheel soff to replace the brake disks and the plastic wheel arch guards have large splits in the centre. I've had a look and it seems the wheels are rubbing when I'm on full lock. To compound matters this has also loosened my front bumper and I'm worried i'll lose it altogether. The car has also been lowered somewhat although I've no idea how much. So anyway, onto my question. are these wheels/tyres of the correct offset for my car or not, if they are, could it be the lowering that is caising this. If not, any other ideas?
    Thanks in advance

Hitby

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. with many wheels on the rim it gives the offset, do you know what yours are? As suspect it will be that.

Im running 225/45/17 with no issues so your tyres are thinner than mine- see pic below too see how much mine is lowered- is yours more?

4. Agree with Yaseen - doesn't matter how wide the tyres are (to a degree): If your offset isn't right then you'll catch. And on the same note, if you are just too low, then it's inevitable - you will catch. Maybe you could have a word with the previous owner and see how much he lowered it.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm on 18s, with 225/40s, ET30 offset, and no probelms whatsoever.

Drew.

5. On Eibachs, I forgot to add.

6. gc48067

gc48067 Member

Hi Drew,

Quick question for you - how much in cm or inches is your car lowered? Do you have any problems with speedbumps etc (assuming the bumpers etc are standard)?

Cheers,

Greg

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Drew 2226 said:
    On Eibachs, I forgot to add.

[/ QUOTE ]

And Drew you should add you have the better Eibach sportline as the pro kit for B5 sucks! (as per excursions site and many, many others)

8. It's 40mm I think. And it's pretty stiff, I do tend to slow down a fair bit when I have to go over a bump.

Yaseen - If I'm right, I'm pretty sure it's the sportline. As you can see from Mark's website, he went from Sprintline to Sportline, as the Sprintline didn't seem to drop the car enough. Also, the springs have definately settled quite a bit since I picked it up in July. The rear seems a good 10-15mm lower.

I drive my mum's B6 TDI 130 a fair bit, and also drove her previous car; a B5 TDI 90, and to be honest my car goes round corners SO MUCH BETTER! The standard setup feels dead loose and soggy, and although the ride quality is compromised a tiny bit, it corners a world better than a standard car would.

Drew.

9. tell me about it- my standard is soooo bad, rolls so much im terrified it will topple over!! Cant wait till mine is in (about a weeks time). Going to celebrate by taking a long trip somewhere to enjoy it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

10. hitby

hitby New Member

Thanks for the reply guys, no I don't think its as low as yours yaseen although with the skirts it appears much lower -
    I've upped a picture of the clearance to
    http://www.highergrasp.co.uk/height.jpg

It appears that I might be lurking around this forum for a while while I get my audi spic and span. I do appreciate the help