1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel nightmare..what WILL FIT! need help please

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by awesomeaudio, Feb 16, 2010.

1. awesomeaudio

awesomeaudio Member

[Feb 16, 2010]
    hi all,

Right im having a bit of a nightmare atm as im looking to buy a new set of wheels for my 2001 audi s3.

Its already on ap coilovers so i can adjust the ride height to fit the right wheels but my problem is this....

im looking at going for 9x16inch wheels so firstly will 16inch wheels go over audi s3 standard brakes???

then my second question is that will a 9inch wide wheel fit under the front arches of an audi s3?

any advice would be great as the company im looking to buy the wheels from does not know and wont refund after they have sent so im a bit stuck!

im trying to find out any advice on this anyone with 9's on the front or anyone tried it???

thanks
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. karlharcourt

karlharcourt god i want more !

[Feb 16, 2010]
    hi
    i cant say with 100% but the standard brake disc is appx 12 1/2 inch then youve got the caliper .
    also you will have to put on some seriously large tyres to get the same rolling radius.
  4. awesomeaudio

awesomeaudio Member

[Feb 16, 2010]
    so they should fit is what ure saying???
  5. Dani_B19

Dani_B19 Audi-sports own special child.

[Feb 16, 2010]
    Im sure the american dude's on here is running 16" stealies.
  6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 16, 2010]
    What wheels are they? Or are they a secret? 16" rims should go over the wheels, I had Golf V6 4Motion(7 spoke 16") wheels on my S3 when I had my rims refurbed in the past, but they won't go over after market brake upgrade. The problem you have is offsets, with a 9" rim, you would need ET20 or less to clear the suspension at the front I would imagine, then you need to see of the spokes clear the calipers, depending on how much dish you have on the rims. The rears have plenty of space, you can fit 255 section tyres under there I'm pretty sire, but it's the front caliper clearance that's your stumbling block I think.
  7. awesomeaudio

awesomeaudio Member

[Feb 16, 2010]
    thanks for the reply that kinda helps!

well yeah a bit of a suprise really but there very deep dish! and i think there an et30 or 35?

would this mean they would stick out the arches as thats what i want to avoid on the front!

hmmm its wether to take the risk on them there close to a grand and i cant return them but if it works they would look soo good imo!

so what to do with that et would they fit better or is that too much??
  8. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Feb 16, 2010]
    If they are ET30 or ET35, then I reckon at 9" wide, they will foul the suspension/struts on the front, my 8" ET35 needed 5mm spacers to stop it hitting the insides of the inner arches on full lock. BBS 18X8.5's are ET30 out the box, so 9" wide, I would go for ET25 or ET20, they are going to poke a little, so you will most likely be running stretched tyres to clear the outer arches in my opinion.
  9. awesomeaudio

awesomeaudio Member

[Feb 16, 2010]
    hmm well im going for the stretched tyres but in your opinion you think if i went with a 5mm spacer in there aswell then they may just poke out the rim? i dont mind them poking a little aslong as the top of the tyre or atleast the tread sits in side the arch?