1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel Cleaning on the S-line

Discussion in 'New A3/S3 (8V Chassis)' started by mjcourtney, Apr 4, 2013.

1. mjcourtney

mjcourtney Well-Known Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    On advice from some other members I ordered some Billbury wheel cleaner to help clean the wheels on my S-line. Valet PRO Bilberry Wheel Cleaner 5L - Buy online from i4detailing.co.uk

It arrived today.... sort of.....

Royal Mail are clearly employing elephants in their sorting offices, because despite the bottle being packed inside a SEALED plastic bag, then cushioned in lots of polystyrene foam, and then placed in a cardboard box, they managed to handle the box so badly that everything exploded.

It looked like something out of a horror movie, or some forensic evidence bag - I wasn't entirely sure which bit of body I was going to find in the box....

IMAG0673.jpg

Anyway, once I'd wiped the blood off the bottle and examined the instructions it says 'Not suitable for un-laquered polished rims' - my question is: Is this ok to use on the S-line wheels? It was my understanding that they are polished rather than fully painted / laquered.

In the mean time i'm waiting for a replacement bottle!
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  2. Ads

Ads

[Oct 31, 2014]

3. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    They're fully lacquered. Bilberry is fine on them although I wouldn't use too often. I've just removed all my wheels to give a coat of Chemical Guys Wheel Guard. Once on, all you need is soapy water with an EZ Detail brush and all the grime falls off. Re-coat with wheel guard every 4-6 months and you're landed.
  4. mjcourtney

[Apr 4, 2013]
    Many thanks! I've got some of the AutoGlym Wheel Sealant to apply once i've given them a clean with the Billbery, so hopefully won't need to use the cleaner too often.
  5. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    The other product well worth the money (especially on white) is Autosmart Tardis. It's fairly cheap and makes short work of tar spots - much better than any other I've tried.

I also use this on the inside of the alloys before re-applying the wheel protector. Around here, the wheels tend to pick up loads of tar.
  6. Gordo77

Gordo77 Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    I coated mine with Poor Boys wheel sealer last week, and have just given them a blast with the pressure washer tonight. The dirt just blasts right off them now.

A weaker solution of Bilberry is great though.
  7. Daveotto

Daveotto Well-Known Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    At the weekend treated my current A3 16" standard alloys with Mer power foam wheel cleaner and Wonder Wheels spray sealer and have driven around 400 miles in last 4 days and hardly any dust or grime on them at all......seriously impressed
  8. markwiggy

markwiggy Third Gear

[Apr 4, 2013]
    It's a good few years since I have used a wheel cleaner as I have always found them damaging in some way.i have been using poor boys wheel sealant for a few years now and have found it very good, brake dust comes off the wheels much easier, without running the risk of causing any damage. I must admit though I have been looking at this Billberry product and have read some very good reviews, I think if you use it sparingly and don't leave it on the rim for too long all should be ok.

Mark
  9. s33nyboy12

s33nyboy12 Well-Known Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    I too have found some wheel cleaners to damage the finish over time.

I need to get upto date on detailing now , stop being lazy and just paying £4 at the abandoned petrol station .

Im thinking of getting mine supaguarded, with wheel + protection.......... Thoughts?

Sean
  10. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    I personally wouldn't bother with the Supaguard. Spend £100 on some quality materials and you'll get a much better finish for as little as a days work once every six months. Some waxes like Collinite will easily last 6-12 months. All you need in between is a weekly wash and dry.
  11. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    With wheel cleaners, I find they cause more damage to the hubs and brake calipers in the first couple of years. I know Bilberry is quite weak, but still harsher than soapy water.
  12. Gordo77

Gordo77 Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    Agree, Collinite 845 and 915 are excellent. Recently I've been going with 845 as its much easier to work with.
  13. markwiggy

markwiggy Third Gear

[Apr 4, 2013]
    As previously stated buy some quality products and do it yourself. I bought a black fire ice on fire kit from Polished Bliss a few yrs ago and have achieved very good results and it provide the same sort of protection and a better finish for a 1/3 of the price.It provides paint protection, carnauba wax and quick detailer, people always comment on the finish on my vehicles. I've just bought a Fiesta Zetec to run round in until my Sportback arrives and gave it the treatment,it looks amazing and must be the shiniest Fiesta ever. (Bit of a waste of quality products really)

Mark
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
  14. s33nyboy12

[Apr 4, 2013]
    Cheers mark, I'll give it a try.
  15. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    I was seriously tempted by the Blackfire kit. The only thing that put me off was the durability. I tend to be a lazy detailer these days and can't manage two/three month top-ups. The finish though is undoubtedly the best I've seen on Audi paint.
  16. markwiggy

markwiggy Third Gear

[Apr 4, 2013]
    i originally bought it for my Sprint Blue S3 which looked fab, I have used it on BMW silver and RR Orkney grey both with great results. It does take a bit of time but is worth the effort. I usually clay the car, polish ( if required) and then apply the paint protection, polish off and leave for 8 hrs before applying the wax, I then if I can be bothered apply further coats of wax each with 8hrs between to build up shine and protection. The products are very user friendly,easy to use and neither process needs a huge amount of effort.

For me this kit was great value for money, yrs worth of product and protection for up to 6 months.

Mark. (I am also a lazy detailer)
  17. WingoWango

WingoWango Member

[Apr 4, 2013]
    Anyone used/recommend Chemical Guys Mellow Yellow for wheels?
  18. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    Cheers Mark.

You may just have inspired me to try it out with that last statement! The results really are outstanding.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detail...-routine-dark-metallic-pearlescent-audis.html

Just need to justify another £150.
    Blackfire Wet Ice Over Fire Kit | Show Winning Car Paint Protection Kit

Apologies to mjcourtney - it appears we've hijacked the tread into a full detailing discussion.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  19. mjcourtney

[Apr 5, 2013]
    Yeah...... :angrymod::whip:

No this is all good info :) and it answered my main question regarding the Billberry - I shall use it sparingly! There are more nooks and crannies on the S-line wheels than it first appears from the photos or from first glance.
  20. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    I really need to get the foam lance out again and take some comedy pics of the car when covered :)

PS: mjc - haven't forgotten about the DVD, just haven't got round to it yet - I'm useless, sorry.
  21. Gordo77

Gordo77 Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    The small bit between the two spokes is a nightmare!
  22. mjcourtney

[Apr 5, 2013]
    Agreed! You think you've got it all until you move the car forward a foot and find ALL the bits you missed :(
  23. dieseldoug

dieseldoug Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    I always have the trolley jack in use and wheels off the ground makes it easier. I have supagard protection on my Q5 and A3 so the wheels are protected with a hard coat and clean VERY easy.
  24. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Well-Known Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    If only there was a coat hard enough to stop the wives kerbing them! :D
  25. mjcourtney

[Apr 5, 2013]
    Well you've heard of the 'car bra', now there's the 'AlloyGator' - I kid you not....

:3sadwalk:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  26. s33nyboy12

[Apr 5, 2013]
    I really need to swot up n how to detail your car properly.

i normally wash it and that's it, but I've seen some on here and at shows that look amazing detailed.

can anyone recommend a step by step process they favour , with hints and tips??.

Sean
  27. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 5, 2013]
    I started a new detailing thread to avoid hijacking this one any further. I've already posted up my plans for the next sunny day. Hopefully others will do the same.
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-8v-chassis/185282-detailing-a3.html#post1837134

There 's also some great write-ups from Polished Bliss in the detailing forum.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  28. markwiggy

markwiggy Third Gear

[Apr 5, 2013]
    I found car care advice on Polished Bliss very helpful.

Car Care Advice | Detailing Advice | Polished Bliss

mark
    s33nyboy12 likes this.
  29. MiT

MiT Work Hard, Play harder!!

[Apr 6, 2013]
  30. hittchy

hittchy Member

[Apr 6, 2013]
  31. faisal_16

faisal_16 Member

[Apr 7, 2013]