1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wheel bolts and the void behind the hub??

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by crazypainter, Jul 7, 2012.

1. crazypainter

crazypainter Member

[Jul 7, 2012]
    I am looking at which wheel bolts i need. I am just wondering how much, if any, a wheel bolt can stick past the back of a hub?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 26, 2014]

3. Ian-83

Ian-83 Member

[Jul 7, 2012]
    Standard wheel bolts are 27mm in length. If running spacers add the thickness of spacer to 27mm then round it up as longer bolts only come in 5mm different lengths.
  4. crazypainter

crazypainter Member

[Jul 7, 2012]
    I have non standard wheels to put on and the standard threads barely grab one turn into the hubs so i have to get longer ones but I am unsure if its ok to have a any excess length passing into the apparent space behind the hub, and if so, how much?
  5. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Well-Known Member

[Jul 7, 2012]
    you must have at least ten full turns on a wheel bolt to be safe
  6. Ian-83

Ian-83 Member

[Jul 8, 2012]
    Are you using the original wheel bolts with the after market alloys? The after market alloys will have a different seat type for the bolts. You should be ok with 27 or 30 mm length bolts with no spacers. I have run wheels with spacers in the past and had about 4mm extra thread more than I have needed and they have been fine. Rule of thumb is 7 turns of thread is needed.
  7. murran

murran Active Member

[Jul 8, 2012]
    being that the standard pitch of the wheel nuts are 1.5. every full turn of the wheel bolt pulls it in by 1.5mm.
    so if your bolts currently only go in by 1 turn then ideally they need to be about 9mm longer.

as been said. the shoulder of the bolts against the wheel need to match, some are curved shoulder some are flat. this is important to stop them coming loose, as when the bolt is torqued up the friction against the two surfaces is what holds the bolt tight.