1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel bolt questions

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by ap, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ap

ap Member

Hello a quick 2 questions for you knowledgeable people.

I hear that after market wheel bolts have a different tapered interface than that of Oem wheel bolts, does anyone have an image of the differences or point me in the direction of a website that could illustrate this to me?

secondly, dimensionally how much thread should be holding the wheel on if you where to poke the wheel bolt through the wheel and measure how much of the bolt is exposed from the back of the wheel to the end of the bolt?

thank you in advance your help, as always is much appreciated

Andy
  2. Tooks

Tooks Member

OEM bolts are what's called radius, or curved, and most aftermarket bolts use tapered shoulders, almost like two sides of a triangle.

My text drawing skills are weak, but almost like;

[)== Radius

[>== Tapered

As for how much thread should be sticking out the back of a given wheel, it will depend on the wheel design. A good rule of thumb though is that you should be able to get 5 or 6 turns of the bolt before tight, which will get a 1.5mm pitch thread bolt 8 or 9mm into the hub. I wouldn't want any less, but you have to be careful you don't go too long either.