1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel bearings or cv?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by robotplant, Feb 23, 2013.

1. robotplant

robotplant Member

Got a low vibrating hum going on which gets louder when turning to the right. I'm sure it has to be a wheel bearing or a cv, not sure which though.

When I turn around to the right slowly in a say a car park I can't hear any ticking or clonking which makes me think it could be a wheel bearing.

Any body experienced this symptom and what was the fix?

Cars a a4 2.5tdi quattro

Thanks in advance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. krisavant

krisavant 4th set of a wheels in a year

I'd say wheel bearing.
    Changed the passenger side last year as I had a droning noise every time I turned right.
    It was especially noisy when turning on a fast bend and all the weight was shifted to the other side.

4. B5NUT

B5NUT Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

Would also say wheel bearing, had a similar problem with an A6, drivers side bearing was fecked and the other was not looking great so replaced both.

5. dpbayly

dpbayly Member

Wheel bearing

6. robotplant

robotplant Member

Fixed the rumble as was correctly diagnosised wheel bearing it was, thanks for the replies lads.

Those bearing bolt retainers were stubborn to say the least, thankfully I have oxy/acetylene handy as the bolts needed some persuading.