1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wheel bearing noise turned out to be the bloody rear diff, please help

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Major Lucky, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Major Lucky

Major Lucky New Member

[Jun 10, 2011]
    had the wifes car in the garage for a rear wheel bearing change, but after fixed there was another noise, back to the garage and he says it will be the rear diff, and said time to sell the car.

Im not adverse to a little drive work, now the car is a 1999 B5 2.8 V6 Estate Auto

what rear differentials can i fit, is there difference gearing or mounting etc between models or could i fit say the rear diff from a 2.6 (one on the bay now) , 1.8T quattro or am i gonna have to search for the exact 2.8 model.

many thanks in advance
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jun 10, 2011]
    Have you checked there is actually any oil in it? they have a habit of leaking at the flange seals.

If you get the ID code off the diff (its also in the service book, or on the sticker in the spare wheel well) i can look up which ratio it is and what other diffs will fit.
  3. Major Lucky

Major Lucky New Member

[Jun 10, 2011]
    not checked the oil yet, the garage said they couldnt get to check it as the hatch or nut was solid, and they didnt want to force it open without a replacement on hand, its going back in on monday to check this,

would be nice if its just an oil level issue, ive got enough problems with the race car without the wifes car mucking about
  4. LeeT

LeeT Member

[Jun 10, 2011]
    hope mine doesnt turn out to be this although i can feel a fair bit of movement in the rear wheel and that was without jacking it up