What's the right tyre for 19 x 8.5J ?

naughts4187

Reaction score
I'm going to be running 19 x 8.5J wheels, offset close to OEM, 48-ish.
I've seen on various other forums that 225 35's are popular as they give a nice stretch, however I've also seen 235's on here in the Aggressive wheel thread going.

According to willtheyfit.com the best tyre for speedo accuracy is 225, see here http://goo.gl/J3CULX however is this too much of a stretch?

Who's running 235 or 225 on their 8.5's please that can offer some advice?

thanks

My Alloys are 8.5J & I'm running a Continental 235 Tyre on them.
Going by mine & looking at quite a few Photos of other guys Cars on the Forum, using a 235 Tyre with an 8.5 Wheel, just makes the Alloy Protrude slightly out from it, making them easier to Kerb when Parking!
I know that some of the guys on here have fitted 9.0 & even 9.5J Alloys on their A3/S3's, yet still using a 235 Tyre, so the actual Wheel must be mega sticking out from the Tyre!
I know the 'Stretched' Tyre look seems to be all the rage at the moment, but I'm not overly keen on that look myself & it must Effect the Handling slightly??
Personally, I prefer the 'Old Skool' look of the Tyre Protruding out from the Wheel, but to achieve this look on an 8.5 Alloy, you'd need to run a 245 Tyre, which unfortunately makes the whole Wheel/Tyre size 3mm Larger, therefore knocking your Speedo out!
I'm not sure how much Clearance you'll have, running a 48 Offset, on a 8.5J Wheel & with a 235 Tyre........it must end up extremely close to your inner Rear Strut??
I think the Saloon has more Clearance/Allowance in the Arches, than the Sportback & Hatchback has!

Last edited:
Reactions: naughts4187
I ran 235/35/19 all round, 8.5 fronts 9.5 rears. The front didn't have much stretch at all, the rears had a fair amount.

Choosing a tyre size is entirely dependant on what your doing with the car.

For instance, my wheels are going back on soon but since I've had the air fitted, 235 tyres on the fronts won't work anymore so I'll be moving down to 215 so the wheel tucks In fully.

If your cars staying totally standard or only lowered slightly I'd say go with 235, was a decent fitment for stock. If you have more plans you might want to change your mind

Hey Naughts how ya doing? Long to wait now?

I'm running 225/35's Conti's sportcontact 5P all round. No issues whatsoever. Can't remember the offset so i'll have to get back to you on that one. They sit perfectly imo with no obvious poke at all. No spacers just straight on. Just waiting for spring to put the H&R's i have and then that'll be the stance sorted.

Uploadfromtaptalk1410893103267
Uploadfromtaptalk1410893144411
Uploadfromtaptalk1415987598510
Uploadfromtaptalk1415987719395
Uploadfromtaptalk1415987630403

I'm going to be running 19 x 8.5J wheels, offset close to OEM, 48-ish.
I've seen on various other forums that 225 35's are popular as they give a nice stretch, however I've also seen 235's on here in the Aggressive wheel thread going.

According to willtheyfit.com the best tyre for speedo accuracy is 225, see here http://goo.gl/J3CULX however is this too much of a stretch?

Who's running 235 or 225 on their 8.5's please that can offer some advice?

thanks

I've jus fitted some at ET + 48, with 235/35s and have no issues with either fit, drive or ride. Like you, I stuck close to the standard offset (for me to avoid any issues with how it drives) but others on here are running more extreme (lower) offset without any issues. There's room for spacers if I ever want to go further, but I reckon it looks great as is.

With 235s your speedo error will only be -1.53%, which will give an actual speed of 68.93 against a standard set up speedo reading of 70, which is no real issue (at least in my view).

Hey Naughts how ya doing? Long to wait now?

I'm running 225/35's Conti's sportcontact 5P all round. No issues whatsoever. Can't remember the offset so i'll have to get back to you on that one. They sit perfectly imo with no obvious poke at all. No spacers just straight on. Just waiting for spring to put the H&R's i have and then that'll be the stance sorted.

View attachment 48350 View attachment 48351 View attachment 48352 View attachment 48353 View attachment 48354

Hey Louay! Not long now, I'm getting pretty excited about seeing my colour for the first time, ever!
I flippin love your colour! Portugese blue??
Thanks for your pics, I've decided the 225's is a great look plus I want to lower in the summer so would help me avoid any rubbing issues.
Real help posting your pics.

Hey Louay! Not long now, I'm getting pretty excited about seeing my colour for the first time, ever!
I flippin love your colour! Portugese blue??
Thanks for your pics, I've decided the 225's is a great look plus I want to lower in the summer so would help me avoid any rubbing issues.
Real help posting your pics.

Anytime Naughts, yeah, that is now exclusive Portugese blue not as common as that Sepang :flush:. Hope the wait isn't too long, stick on here and you'll be fine.

take care

Lou

Reactions: veeeight
Anytime Naughts, yeah, that is now exclusive Portugese blue not as common as that Sepang :flush:. Hope the wait isn't too long, stick on here and you'll be fine.

take care

Lou

Was it a launch colour Portuguese? It's incredible. Definitely my next colour.

I have 225 on an 8.5j rim and I am seriously considering going for 235 the next time I change all four tyres; have to be very careful parking with the 225s on atm

Was it a launch colour Portuguese? It's incredible. Definitely my next colour.
Indeed it was. Estoril Blue crystal effect was one of two only optional crystal paints available at launch but rumour has it (or fact) that Audi pulled the plug on it due to mineral issues leading to a shortage of that specific colour. still think you can select it but only at silly prices so I got it for a bargain and so glad I did as it goes so well with the silver on the car.

Hey Louay,

Did you manage to find out what ET you are running??

I like your set up and don't want to use spacers!!

Cheers

Jim

235 35 19 supersports lowered no rubbing at all

Reactions: Lizard821000
I've got a set of 19" 8J ET 49 wheels coming next week and I'm wondering what tyre width to go with myself.

These are OEM wheels and Audio suggest 235 tyres, however do you guys reckon that 225 might be a better option?

The 225/35 (original rear Audi RS3) will leave the rim mega exposed to kerb damage - better to go for a 235/35 (original front Audi RS3) on on 8J rim, like so:

HOME_P1030018MA29800521-0033_zpsdqhllfqb.jpg

Hi,
Are your rims 8.5J and what's the offset ET?
Hope you can assist as looking at a new 19" set up for my A3 8V Sline Sportback!
Thanks in advance...
Cheers,
Steve.

Yes, Steve M; the wheels on the front of my 8P RS3 are 19 x 8.5J ET53 with 255/30 91Y tyres

Wheels: Audi Part No: 8P0601025CM @ 19-inch x 8.5J ET53

New 85 wheel 952

Hope this helps

Yes, Steve M; the wheels on the front of my 8P RS3 are 19 x 8.5J ET53 with 255/30 91Y tyres

Wheels: Audi Part No: 8P0601025CM @ 19-inch x 8.5J ET53

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing your info. Greatly appreciated my friend!!
In your opinion would I get away with a 48ET on 8.5J and the same tyre set-up?
Cheers again!!
Steve M..

Thanks for sharing your info. Greatly appreciated my friend!!
In your opinion would I get away with a 48ET on 8.5J and the same tyre set-up?
Cheers again!!
Steve M..

The STD 8J rim has a 50mm ET so I would think your 48mm ET will be ok; remember the RS3 has a much larger brake caliper than the S3 so your clearance between caliper and wheel spokes will be greater: a drawing that may help:

ET 85J

Reactions: Daytonapig
Anyone here know if the x2 8.5J X 19 ET 53 wheels will fit on a Audi A3 Sportback 2015.
If so what tyres are best suited for them. I have x2 8J X 19 X 49ET WITH 235/35/19 Tyres fitted just unsure on the x2 8.5J X 19 ET 53 wheels and Tyres on an A3 Sportback 2015

hi are 255 good ?

Yes and no as it all depends on application but, for example, a pair of MPSS 255/30s do work very well on the front of an 8P RS3 with 8.5J rims: here with a 255/30 (8.5J rim) and 235/35 (8J rim) to compare:

255 30 and 235 35

Last edited:
Yes and no as it all depends on application but, for example, a pair of MPSS 255/30s do work very well on the front of an 8P RS3 with 8.5J rims.
I want them on :
Audi A3 2015 8VA Sportback 2.0 TDI quattro 1968ccm 184HP 135KW (Diesel)
these alloys and tyres (pic below)

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 647
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 891
Just a note for people reading this thread, it's very important if you have quattro and decide to run 255 in front and 235 in rear that you get the quattro versions of the tyres, Pirellis are marked RO2. This will ensures that the tyres have the same circumference despite having different width.

Just a note for people reading this thread, it's very important if you have quattro and decide to run 255 in front and 235 in rear that you get the quattro versions of the tyres, Pirellis are marked RO2. This will ensures that the tyres have the same circumference despite having different width.
Quattro needs specific tyres ? bcos I have now 235 40 18 7.5J and at 70 mhp and 75 I hear whirring noise almost like aeroplane and I feel very slight vibration on pedal or steering wheel
Now I don't know if it is wheel bearing or tyres

Quattro needs specific tyres ? bcos I have now 235 40 18 7.5J and at 70 mhp and 75 I hear whirring noise almost like aeroplane and I feel very slight vibration on pedal or steering wheel
Now I don't know if it is wheel bearing or tyres

No not as long as you use the same size on both axels. But 255/30/19 will have a different circumference than 235/35/19 which will put stress on the haldex clutch and wear it prematurely if you don’t get the version of the tyres made for 4wd.

I want them on :
Audi A3 2015 8VA Sportback 2.0 TDI quattro 1968ccm 184HP 135KW (Diesel)
these alloys and tyres (pic below)
255 or 235 - it's almost irrelevant if you choose to fit those black lion tyres. You'll not be on the road long enough for the size to matter.

Seriously tho - 235/35R19 is the correct size. Just don't fit ****** chinese budget sliders to your car.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lehn
255 or 235 - it's almost irrelevant if you choose to fit those black lion tyres. You'll not be on the road long enough for the size to matter.

Seriously tho - 235/35R19 is the correct size. Just don't fit ****** chinese budget sliders to your car.

but I have now 235 40 18 and tyres look so thin like ordinary car.. 255 will look sporty wide..
just because they are chinese doesn't mean they are bad... all tyres are made in china.. and this is only one chinese company which makes these tyres best of midrange they can compete with those ''premium''
here are reviews : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Blacklion/Champoint-BU66.htm

but I have now 235 40 18 and tyres look so thin like ordinary car.. 255 will look sporty wide..
just because they are chinese doesn't mean they are bad... all tyres are made in china.. and this is only one chinese company which makes these tyres best of midrange they can compete with those ''premium''
here are reviews : http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Blacklion/Champoint-BU66.htm
I've been in tyres for over 20yrs fella and I can assure you not all tyres are made in China.

These are not mid range tyres.

Why was this 3 year old thread suddenly resurrected?!!

Reactions: Lehn
Yes this is correct and will void a warranty if you don't use RO2's. To get around it you can use 245's all round in a "square" setup. I've done this with my OEM RS3 Rotors which are 8J and 8.5J.

Why was this 3 year old thread suddenly resurrected?!!
Bcos I am asking ppl which tyres sizetthey running??
255s on this website
Everyone here is just only negative on everything.. Really don't understand these ppl here..
Stupid questions of topic.. putting ppl off of what they want to do.. **** ALWAYS negative..
Not helpful at all only just ********
He above saying tyres are **** JUST because they are from china like china is bad or something and main thing it is becoming economy largest country.. Many 1000 reviewed tyres and nobody said anything wrong about them
Am running Roadstone Eurovis 04 sport and tyres are brilliant.. After 6 months ir more I still have 6.5mm tread on the back on front 5.5mm
Am driving fast, cornering fast and they are perfect.. Nothing wrong with them

Last edited by a moderator:
But pirreli are the worst tyres.. It is all just marketing..

Since this thread is about rim size. I recently went from OEM 19" which are 8.0 to a 19 x 8.5 and the rims stuck out from the side of the tyre with 235/35/19. Some tyres with very large rim protection may diminish this but I went with 245/35/19 tyres and all looks good to my eye. I honestly dislike the stretched tyre look, ugly to my eyes and zilch rim protection.

Reactions: Phone Tech
Since this thread is about rim size. I recently went from OEM 19" which are 8.0 to a 19 x 8.5 and the rims stuck out from the side of the tyre with 235/35/19. Some tyres with very large rim protection may diminish this but I went with 245/35/19 tyres and all looks good to my eye. I honestly dislike the stretched tyre look, ugly to my eyes and zilch rim protection.
Am going for 255 35 19
one of these .. both nice and blacklion tyres

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 618
  • s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 926
  • 5222954830.jpg
    5222954830.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 1,045
No not as long as you use the same size on both axels. But 255/30/19 will have a different circumference than 235/35/19 which will put stress on the haldex clutch and wear it prematurely if you don’t get the version of the tyres made for 4wd.
No I don't want 255 30 19 but 255 35 19 but now I been advised to get 235s front as 255 will be too wide and it will rub when turning..