What's the connector for...?

S3PEG

Reaction score
I have sourced a replacement climate control unit for my S3.... when I went to chage it over, I found the new one (from a 52 plate) has an extra connection on the back. It has the 4 brown multi-pin connectors as the original unit but also has a 2 pronged connector on one side. Does anyone know what it's for?

Thanks in advance!

Nope!

You sure you've not lost a connector down the back that goes in there?

Apparently, if you find the lead that it plugs into, that car gets an extra 200bhp!!!

Thats what I have heard anyway :undwech:

No on a serious note mate, you sure its for the same year/model etc???

Have you tried connecting the unit without that plug??

I've had a dig around and can't find anything. The unit I've removed didn't have anywhere to connect anything else... that's why I'm confused. Could it be for power?

It's from a slightly newer model and it doesn't work when I connect all the plugs I have. I have tried a couple of units now, including one from an A4 - this had the same space for extra connections but it worked fine without anything plugged in there... it just didn't fit the console!

Hmmm, strange, you might as well take it back if you can and see if you can get one for the same model, age etc....

Some pics of yours & new one would help along with part numbers.

Ah hold on, I seem to remember when I was trying to convert my S3 years back to facelift that there was a thick 2 pronged connection on rear of the facelift climate unit, urm a white & brown wire rings a bell, now tell me, is your car a facelift from 2000 by any chance because they did a partial facelift in 2000 before the complete facelift in 01, so some things were in the middle of being changed as such or they changed there mind, so you may have facelift climate but the older style connections still on your car, so you'd need specifically the 2000 climate, certainly remember myself asking what the connection chnage was about.

Can you confirm pics of both & the date of your car.

Sounds typical!! The car is pre-facelift 1999. The centre console I'm putting it into is post-facelift. (2001 onwards) I will post some pics asap to see if that makes things clearer!

Cheers.

Aha bistro all becomes clear now with all the info, forget it mate, you need to go through the schematics in elsawin & check whats changed, if its pre car then wont work end of without modifying wiring & maybe parts, its not plug n pray