1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best rubber??

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by mattyboyc, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mattyboyc

mattyboyc B6 Veteran
    Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Hi all,
    my set of 18" RS6'S will be going off for a fresh powdercoat over the next couple of months ready for the summer, now they will need a new set of front tyres, i have always found the B6 to be quite heavy on front tyres so am looking for some with a good all round performance, the car is a 1.9tdi and although chipped it is no RS4 so i don't need tyres with a galactic speed rating, i don't mind paying for top end tyres but only if they return good milliage,level of grip ect, so what are your thoughts,
    What make,model and speed rating?
    Thanks as always,
    Matt

2. Advert Guest Advertisement

3. 3DTDi

3DTDi Member

conti sport contact 5 for me

4. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I've got SportContacts too 2 or 3 I think, would have them aain, these are the second lot I'm running. They rip well in all conditions, and wore much better than the previous (expensive!) Michelin PilotSport 3's.

5. mattyboyc

mattyboyc B6 Veteran
    Audi A4 Audi Avant Owner Group TDi

Thanks for that James, what sort of Milliage did you get from the conti's ?

6. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

I've no idea mate :(

They came part worn on my RS6's, then got removed when the wheels were refurbed and replaced when I finished. Then I bought the Mam Nuvo's on with part worn Conti's and ran them for a bit before swapping them to the dark RS6's where they are now! So I've kind of lost track, sorry.

7. jbcalvin

jbcalvin Member

Heard good things about Falken FK452's and also Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's, I have just acquired a set of 5 x RS6 wheels for my car and may well need tyres later this year....

I would thoroughly recommend Oponeo for buying as well, got an incredible deal on my Pirelli winters.....£102 each delivered, no-one in the UK had them in stock and cheapest price I was quoted was £135!!

8. jutlis 3.0

jutlis 3.0 Member

i put a set of conti sc3 on and seem a good alrounder so far

9. Turkster

Turkster Bro.Paul 2.5TDI Quattro Sport

Contact 3 sports on my ride, cant fault them yet, Michelin HP Primacy was also very good and lasted well.

10. AudiLeon

AudiLeon Well-Known Member
    VCDS Map User

Falken 452's get my vote!

11. dejongj

dejongj Active Member

Pirelli Zero Rosso do the trick for me :)

12. BahnStormer77

BahnStormer77 BahnStormer

Toyo Proxes T1-R's are doing me VERY well for my summer tyres, good grip, very progressive on the limit if you do try to get it to loosen it's grip (big wide, wet roundabouts only really!)... and probably the best tyre I've ever used for hitting standing water / driving in the rain - essential for a UK summer tyre ;)

They wear pretty well, but then I never use them in winter - I hear their wear rate goes up even faster than normal tyres do when used in the cold. I've done about 8k on mine and they still look like new!

Only really recommending them as a summer tyre though: I've used them once in proper snow and found them a bit frightening (to be fair it was 2" of ice with a few inches of powder on top, so anything would have been "interesting" at least).... plenty of forward movement, surprisingly "okay-ish" at braking, but minimal directional control.... I was basicaly driving a 1700kg hovercraft!