Whats the best bike rack for Audi A4?

DJM1982

Reaction score
I own an Audi A4 S-line Salloon (2006), can anyone reccommend a good bike rack to carry two bikes.
Cheers in advance

used a hollywood rack for years,good quality no scratches to car or bike,fits on back not on roof.

I've got thule roof rack with 2 bike holders got it off ebay last year 2nd hand. It's easy to fit and you still have access to the boot when bike's are attatched un like boot mounted rack. But each to their own.

Just recently bought a set of genuine audi roof bars for my avant which are top quality and very easy to fit, and tomorrow I am picking up a couple of Mont Blanc Barracuda cycle carriers for use with the roof bars. I had a look at the genuine audi cycle carriers and suspect that they are identical to the Barracuda apart from badging. I can let you know their quality after tomorrow if you want........or maybe someone else on here already has this type of carrier??

i would only use roof bars on an avant personally,so i could carry the step ladder required to load/unload the bike (5'9")

Just recently bought a set of genuine audi roof bars for my avant which are top quality and very easy to fit, and tomorrow I am picking up a couple of Mont Blanc Barracuda cycle carriers for use with the roof bars. I had a look at the genuine audi cycle carriers and suspect that they are identical to the Barracuda apart from badging. I can let you know their quality after tomorrow if you want........or maybe someone else on here already has this type of carrier??

Yeah would be good to know what the qaulity is like. Cheers

I got myself a detachable tow bar and then a tow bar mounted rack. Its perfect as it drops down so you can still get into the boot, and girlfriend can load them on without having to lift them onto the top of the car.

I got myself a detachable tow bar and then a tow bar mounted rack. Its perfect as it drops down so you can still get into the boot, and girlfriend can load them on without having to lift them onto the top of the car.

same here,

Westfalia oe bar from PFJones, and the I was using a auto maxi frame mounted rack that was fine but I have since upgraded to a thule wheel mounted rack with the lights and plate holder built in, took my full suser and the g/fs hard tail fine and was stable when having some fun on the derbyshire country lanes last week, also this way no mud etc lands off the bike on the car roof and its a little more aero dynamic so a bit more fuel efficent

I've used Thule bars with the various footpacks for years to cater for numerous different cars, paired with Thule roof-mounted bike carriers. I haven't had any issue getting the bikes on and off, but then I am 6'5".....

I've also just upgraded the carrier I use from the Thule 530 to the Thule 591 and have had no issue with either, although the 591 is definiately worth the extra outlay.

....well tried a barracuda on the roof bars this evening and they fit to the slots in the audi bars with ease. They also come with clamps suitable for the solid type of roof bar. They do look really good on the bars and nice touches like a chrome finish on the upright which attaches to the bike frame.
I personally discounted the whole bike rack on the rear option as I intend to take the bike on away breaks when i will probably need access to the boot and cant be bothered with having to move bikes out of the way first.........each to their own though.
In total I managed to spend £45 on genuine audi roof bars (second hand) and £35 each on two cycle carriers (also second hand), so for a shade over £100 I have a pretty good result.
I suppose if you go down the towbar route you will probably need more wonga?
Hope this helps in your decision.

Cheers mate, thats sounds like a good option. I'll see if i can pick some parts up secong hand like yourself and go from there.

I sourced all my stuff from my local gumtree website......it is a good place to start looking as you can search for stuff in your nearest city, and particularly with large items like roof bars and cycle carriers you can save a lot of postage monies by meeting up with the sellers.
Happy hunting!

When I was searching for an A4 Avant Bike Rack, I came across this website called Best Car Bike Rack, it covered most Audi's. It was called Best Car Bike Rack !, the article you are looking for is called ' Audi A4 Avant Bike Rack ' it had tons of useful info pros and cons of each bike rack etc. I have linked to the relevant page above. Hope this helps !! :friendly wink:
:blackrs4: