What's more reliable?

Gurner

Monster
Reaction score
Hi, looking to buy an A3 at the moment - just wondering what people think is least likely to land me with a massive engine related bill - 3.2 or 2.0T? Both 07 with about 70k

All opinions gratefully received!

My only worry with the 3.2 is the camchain I guess. Snapping, stretching, that kind of thing... Is that a problem on all years?

If you're worried about an engine going pop then focus on the service history. Taking a more positive approach to your decision, buy the 3.2. You won't regret it. The 2.0T is a great engine, but the 3.2 is on another level. It could even be a future classic.

If you're worried about an engine going pop then focus on the service history. Taking a more positive approach to your decision, buy the 3.2. You won't regret it. The 2.0T is a great engine, but the 3.2 is on another level. It could even be a future classic.

I have the 3.2 and its great!My daughter had here 2l change because of burning oil , my brother in law same thing.... I had no problem with mine but decided to have some change , and boy is this fun to scoot around town!
Love it . Best engine volks did.

What about the cost of TAX and fuel economy with the 3.2? Maybe these arnt issues for you. The 3.2 def' sounds the part but that was really the only thing ive ever thought as a plus on it. But I suppose It could be more reliable without a turbo but I would treat every car different as you could get a more reliable 2.0T if it has been looked after better. Loads more options to consider other than just reliability.

What about the cost of TAX and fuel economy with the 3.2? Maybe these arnt issues for you. The 3.2 def' sounds the part but that was really the only thing ive ever thought as a plus on it. But I suppose It could be more reliable without a turbo but I would treat every car different as you could get a more reliable 2.0T if it has been looked after better. Loads more options to consider other than just reliability.
with the a4 b7 2 L turbo I did avg. 9.5 L/100km the a3 3.2 L avg. 10.5-11L /100km

Theres common faults on both engines iv had both the 3.2 and 2.0t and have been faultless other than usual wear and tear 3.2 is a punchy engine but have a 08 s3 now and hands down prefer that. Its preference really and look for good service history i only tend to see them at work with eml lights on still running fine with minor problems

About same with my daughter who has an a3 2L
Maybe 1/2 liter less

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm not too concerned with tax and fuel costs, I just want a quick reliable car. My worrys are getting stranded and suddenly having a massive engine repair bill.

I suppose it's a bit of a gamble with either car, with the 2.0 t having the oil starvation issues and the 3.2 with it's stretchy camchain. I've driven them both and the 3.2 is certainly the most immediately impressive, although there's not a lot in it in terms of acceleration and top speed.

Perhaps the safest thing is to buy the 2.0 t and budget £300 for immediately replacing the pickup pipe. Certainly less scary than the £3000 to replace the camchains and wotnot on the 3.2. But even then there's the cam follower to worry about.

Maybe I should just keep saving for the newer model!

Less chance to stretch a chain than oil burning