1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it worth...

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by Mr K, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Mr K

Mr K Member

[Jan 21, 2010]
    My A4 2.8 is for sale on this site (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?87369-For-Sale-2000-Audi-A4-2-8-Quattro) and on various forums, but not getting any bites, just wondering if i have the price too high?

the spec is extremely high, and mechanically its in really good nick, theres some blebs of rust on a wheel arch and on the boot lid, but nothing too major. and in my opinion it looks awesome.

but what should i advertise it for? and shold i return it to standard and sell the wheels and springs seperately?

your opinions please...
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 20, 2014]

3. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

[Jan 21, 2010]
    Think the fact its auto will put most off,i know i wont buy an auto car. Just dont think cars are selling too well just now.
  4. madvw

madvw Active Member

[Jan 21, 2010]
    looks like its almost out of coolant in those pictures, not a good sign for a prospective buyer from the off.
  5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 21, 2010]
    Its also absolutely top dollar for ANY B5. 1.8TQS's are selling around that area and even less.

Add on the fact its a V6 (ie thirsty and therefore undesirable) and an auto, further limits the market.

Bear in mind you can get B6's for around 3k, and while they might be ratty, they're still newer, and unless your an enthusiast specifically looking for a B5, most people would spend the extra and stretch to a B6.

A quick completed items scan of ebay, shows the most a 2.8 has gone for is £2100, and it was a 2000 just like yours (albeit a nasty color), the rest are either unsold, and of the ones that did sell, one was a '99 for £1500, a supercharged '97 for £1800, a '98 for £1100 and a '97 for £800

A lot of people dont like ebay, but generally the prices on there reflect the current market trends.
  6. ian52

ian52 2000 a4 1.8tqs-yellow

[Jan 21, 2010]
    Has anybody seen the black 1.8t quattro sport on ebay i think for about 6k? Thats good facelift s4 money. I think if you advertise about £2500 you might get more interest. It is one of the nicer looking ones going about.
  7. phoenixv6quattro

phoenixv6quattro staylowmovefast

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Tidy car mate....Apart from mine being an avant with a manual box, it's identical to yours spec wise. I bought mine last June. Completely standard, 120 on the clock and a full Audi SH for £2700. I was actually going to buy a B6 1.8t avant, albeit a low specced one for £3400, but it was FWD and a belt change was due. I was on the way to buy it and passed a forecourt with the (mine now) B5 on it.....Older model yeah, but specced to the nines! I would rather have a top of the class older model, opposed to a bottom of the class b6.
  8. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Phoenix: yes, but your an enthusiast, as are most folk on here. The V6 alone will put many people off. 30mpg is bad enough if your doing any sort of mileage. We were putting a tank of fuel a week and sometimes more for the weekend in ours when dawn was at uni, doing around 50 miles a day, had it been a V6 you'd have been talking an additional £100 a month in fuel over the 1.8T.

Plus you've just pointed out you paid less money, a year ago, for a more desirable model ;) And you baught it trade, which is always more expensive.
  9. phoenixv6quattro

[Jan 22, 2010]
    Fair point mate. I commute from wycombe to west london everyday (inc weekends), and it does cost me 100 pw! Maybe if the economy fully recovered and running costs went down they would be more desirable. But you are right, V6=running away, usually very fast....
  10. calvin

calvin parked up

[Jan 22, 2010]
    personally, I would return it to stock and sell the wheels and springs separately as they are much more likely to sell quickly, and the difference in the sale price you'll get on the car IMO is negligable.

Or, try and sell the wheels first and see how that goes; whatever you get you could reduce the price of the car by at the very least!

Good luck - its exactly this (thirsty, expensive = less demand = low prices) reason that I am hanging on to my S4 - its not WORTH selling it right now!
  11. phoenixv6quattro

[Jan 23, 2010]
    Yeah another good point....I have spent roughly 2k on mine (maintanence and mods) since buying it. I accept the most I'm ever going to get for it, even with the work I've done, is £2500. If I ever sold I would lose a lot of cash, so when that bridge is crossed I would either SORN and keep it forever, or break everything down for spares and bin the carcess.....Just me thinking out loud. However I love the car. It really is all (aside from a bit more power) I want in a motor. So can't see me mag to grid (rid) for at least 2-3.

Good luck with the sale buddy.
  12. phoenixv6quattro

[Jan 23, 2010]
    Yeah another good point....I have spent roughly 2k on mine (maintanence and mods) since buying it. I accept the most I'm ever going to get for it, even with the work I've done, is £2500. If I ever sold I would lose a lot of cash, so when that bridge is crossed I would either SORN and keep it forever, or break everything down for spares and bin the carcess.....Just me thinking out loud. However I love the car. It really is all (aside from a bit more power) I want in a motor. So can't see me mag to grid (rid) for at least 2-3.

Good luck with the sale buddy.
  13. Mr K

Mr K Member

[Jan 24, 2010]
    thanks for the kind words / advice.

It definitely has enough coolant in it, i had a look. it doesnt use any, and it had a full flush through, and fresh coolant at the same time as the water pump, about 15k-18k miles ago. it does however have an extremly stained header tank!

On the manual Vs auto thing, I am extemely into my driving, i have a race car in the garage, and love a good drivers car, and also said those faithful words of a petrol head 'i would never own an auto'. i spent a while looking for a 2.8 A4 as a daily cruiser, in the end i couldnt find a good manual car so decided to test drive an auto tiptronic as it looked like a good compromise, and it realy is brilliant! when you find a nice a road tiptronic is great, giving you the control you want, but around town, and in every day situations the auto is so much lazier, and really suits the 2.8 nicely. I personally dont find pushing the clutch pedal down adds much to the experiance, its more a control thing of choosing your gears, and you can get all of that with this, with the added bonus of not having to take your hands off the wheel or foot off the floor, just press a button....

To be honest, i decided on the price by looking at simular spec cars on auto trader, then added what i thought i could get for the wheels/tyres/springs/spacers and a bit for haggleing.

Im open to offers, no matter how silly. try me!