whats better my s3 xenons or hid projectors?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
I'd like to update the front of my s3 but don't want to lose decent lights, if I put the facelift a3 projector lights but add an HID kit will the lighting be as good or better than the prefacelift xenons?
Thanks for your thoughts!

I thought s3 xenon units were projector lenses???? Saying that i can't speak for pre facelift units ;)

Last edited:
The only benefit I'm aware of is they'd be slightly brighter, and cheaper to replace bulbs if/when they go.

I prefer the look of facelift single unit headlights rather than my present two piece ones, but the xenons work better than the crappy a3 headlights, hence the HID kit idea! I've done the facelift upgrade on my a3 and wiring wise it was easy, anybody know if it'll work going from s3 xenon to a3 facelift non xenon, I know they'll fit the car with a little adaption but how about wiring/electric wise? Sorry, first xmas hangover so not too coherent!

I was thinking about this.. With abit of adaptation I think it will work.. Pics of the internals to compare would be good..

i have a new passenger side facelift unit fitted to my car after an accident. The other side looks dated big time ! i wanna try & fit a halogen lamp casing to the exsisting internals. Appearence wise they are the same a new xneon is supplied as a full unit @ £500.

Don't know the wiring system on the Xenons, but surely it's just a 12v feed to the OEM ballast? I'd simply wire the OEM feed into the aftermarket HID ballast, wouldn't have thought it'd be difficult.

I wouldn't have thought a HID kit would be worse than Xenons, if anything the bulbs would be a more desirable colour, but that's purely for looks I guess.

Just to clarify, HID - Xenon = same thing...
If you are talking aftermarket HID kit vrs standard Audi factory made and fitted I would go for the Audi. You can always change the bulbs in the Audi kit to a higher K rating (bulbs are D2S) if you like but remember that despite common thought, the higher K rating over 4200K (standard colour temp for most car makers Xenons) you go the less Lumens (light) is actually produced. Or, the bluer, the dimmer.

Agree with AJM. The colour from white/blue/purple produces less light the more purply you go.