1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHAT'S ALL THE CLICKING ABOUT

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by nubian, Aug 16, 2012.

1. nubian

nubian New Member

[Aug 16, 2012]
    Hello

My 03 Cab 3.0 sport manual has been a brilliantly reliable vehicle from new but recently has developed a strange and worrying problem.

somewhere inside the driver side rear quarter panel around mid wheel arch emminates a strange clicking noise that never stops even when the car is stationary and parked and locked.

The noise sometimes becomes a buzz and then after sometime goes back to clicking which itself can increase in frequency or die away to 1 click every second or so.

The sound is kind of electromagnetic or similar to the noise that a solenoid or relay can make.

This doesn't seem to affect the roof operation in any way but I have noticed that on occasion the central Locking becomes non responsive and may not respond until I put the key in the ignition and switch the ignition on. This may be a red herring but I thought I would mention this just in case. No other symptoms have been noticed.

I wanted to pick the brains and experience of you fine Audi people before dragging my butt into a stealer for a fix.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thank you.
  2. jolly14

jolly14 Member

[Aug 16, 2012]
    I have a similar problem with my 1.8t sometimes it won't lock until i put the keys in the ignition. Would the clicking be a faulty alarm as the batteries can leak and cause a short which made mine make some very weird noises. Hope you get it sorted as these little things drive me mental ( i think i've got aspergers or something) :nyah:

Jay
  3. Jimmybuckrogers

Jimmybuckrogers Audi OCD

[Jan 10, 2015]
    Dragging this one up from the past but did you ever figure out the clicking?
    I've just started to hear an occasional relay click from the back but haven't quite pinned it down yet, seems to be more towards the offside back, is this where the alarm control module is?

My central locking is fine so far.
  4. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Well-Known Member

[Jan 10, 2015]
    The click sound might be your fuel filler cap door lock
  5. Jimmybuckrogers

Jimmybuckrogers Audi OCD

[Jan 11, 2015]
    I've unplugged the cable to the fuel flap locking actuator, but still hear an occasional relay click, typically whenever I stick my head in the boot it doesn't do it!
  6. vr6gordy

vr6gordy Well-Known Member

[Jan 11, 2015]
    You say it doesn't do it when your in the boot .. I think you've just found the problem .. It could be your boot catch