What you think

Tj 0785

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Well with my engine having low compression on cylinder 1 I rather need a new engine or a rebuild. Bearing in mind I plan on going hybrid in the future if I got another engine I'd want it with upgrades ready for when that time comes. I've had a quote for rebuilding mine what do you think is it reasonable?

no price for reboring?

What was the cause of the low compression? no work on the head?

<tuffty/>

Reboreing is included. The cause I don't know took it for a compression test as kept getting oil dipstick popping up and if tool oil cap of plumes of smoke,on there report it said excessive blow by and cylinder one was also scored aswell as low compression

Makes sense... I'd go 82.5mm bore...

I'd get the head checked over too... seems a bit pointless building the bottom end and sticking a worn head on...

Most need exhaust guides... all need re-lapping... some need seats to be cut from pitting... new stem seal obviously...

<tuffty/>

Yeah ideally I'd get the head done aswell and just get it done at badger 5 then I'd have no worries with the engine. I'd don't want to rebuild it and then the head go. So I don't know what to do just get the bottom end done or park it up until I get the funds for full engine and aet hybrid next summer and do little bits myself like brakes, bumper,exhaust and get a cheap run around for now.
I got headache

It all depends on your financial situation bud, I myself would go for the later and try do as much as I could myself while getting a cheap run around. Still a crap situation to be in but you would learn a lot doing bits yourself, and look forward to it when it's done!

Tbh if I hadn't booked a family holiday to Florida for next year it wouldn't be much of an issue but I have to get that paid off and spending money as well that's why i can't go all out on it now

Reactions: GeorgieS3
I know that paperwork!

Can't comment on the price (except, ouch!) but they're a good bunch.

Exciting times - is there a contingency budget for other items noticed? eg my head was a mess and the turbo hotside and manifold are cracked - I assume the clutch is new already (whilst its all in pieces) - if you want a new turbo next wont you need to replace the oil pump in preparation too?

I bet they wont spend 10 hours drilling off a seized turbo bolt and £££s on drill bits including carbide pillar bits

Still don't know which way to go with it most I could spare now would be 2k and won't get much rebuilt for that. I'm kind of leaning towards park it and do the smaller stuff bit each week/month ideally I'd like new bumper,bonnet, new seats,brembos,exhaust,rns-e, exhaust , adjustable rear tie arms can get turbo/manifold, hpa controller and just get engine done after my hols when I have no other real outlays .so there's a fair bit to order and do my reasoning all tho might sound daft if I just leave it on my drive till next year will I lose interest it.

Plus it keeps away from the misses

Mines been off the road 14 months now..... everything was great for first few months we got on well ect, she was dynamite in bed. Now she lays there like a sack of spuds doesn't move her **** or fck all and I couldn't care less about her.

So you srart thinking sod this ****, is she really worth it?? and start looking over the fence.... don't leave her too long dude :)

Happy ending tho as Iv rekindled the love for her! have given her a wash as soon she will be back rocking me hard :)

Reactions: Jeriho, GeorgieS3, S3 Hilife and 1 other person