1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What year S4 should I buy?

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by BuLLiTT, Jun 10, 2004.

1. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

I just totalled my car and am looking to buy an S4. I really like these cars. I've been doing some research on them but I wanted to see what the people of the forum thought. What is the difference in the years, 2000,2001,2002,2003... Can't really afford the new ones tho lol. Any info would be great. Also, any problems that I should look out for?

Thanks
  2. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

3. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

Yes. But it says nothing about the 2002s and 2003s. Maybe cuz there is no difference but it does not say that. thanks tho.
  4. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

There were no 2002 and 2003 s4 models built.
    Sometimes the 2001.5 is referred to as a 2002 model.
    The new S4 (2004) is a completely new and revamped model - no longer a 2.7 twin turbo V6 on the B5 platform. It is a 4.2 V8 on the B6 platform.
  5. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

Ok thanks, that's what I thought.
  6. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

Another question for you...
    Is there any difference in the looks of them? And how r you supposed to know if its a 2001.5?
  7. jdp1962

jdp1962 Grumpy Old Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    ImolaS4 said:
    People have to learn to SEARCH THE FORUM ARCHIVES!!!!

The link below is from a post listed only 5 days ago! It is titled (00 or 01 S4?? Whats the differnce?) and it is listed just a few posts down from this one. Jeeesh!

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=a4forum&Number=74553&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, tiger. It's only a few days since you were chastising us Brits for having some fun at another guy's expense and here you are roasting a newbie on his first post, just cos he's not familiar with what's already on there. Let's try and make him feel welcome, huh?

Bullitt, nice to have you on board. I'm not an expert on S4s, so can't help you with the detail of your question, but if you want a bit of general advice, don't get too hung up on the model year, and the spec. Concentrate on overall condition and history (documented). Test drive as many as you can find, then choose the one that is the best condition car you can afford to buy. If the S4 is the car that you want, then pretty much any one you look at will be more or less of the right spec, give or take the odd toy. That doesn't matter, as a evening spent browsing this forum & exchanging ideas with contributors will show you that most items can be added later if necessary.

Good luck with your search.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  8. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

Thank you very much Jeff. I really appreciate the help.
  9. jdp1962

My pleasure mate. Good luck with the search for the right car. When you get it, make sure to tell us all about it.
  10. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    jdp1962 said:
    Easy, tiger. It's only a few days since you were chastising us Brits for having some fun at another guy's expense and here you are roasting a newbie on his first post, just cos he's not familiar with what's already on there. Let's try and make him feel welcome, huh?........

[/ QUOTE ]
    No worries here. I made no personal attacks - I was venting frustration. I get frustrated because I think that people just jump on board and start asking questions without spending some time getting to know the forum and all that is available.

Apologies to Bullitt if I came on to strong. I hope I have helped, regardless.
  11. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

You were a great help imola, Thank you. No worries.
  12. BuLLiTT

BuLLiTT New Member

Hey you said they didn't make a 2002 and a 2003 but I see people selling them online all the time, and also at dealerships. ??
  13. jdp1962

That was an entirely new model, based on what is known as the B6 chassis. The model prior to 2001 is the B5, and this is the B5 forum. There is a separate forum on this site for the B6 models.

14. ImolaS4

ImolaS4 Member

[ QUOTE ]
    BuLLiTT said:
    Hey you said they didn't make a 2002 and a 2003 but I see people selling them online all the time, and also at dealerships. ??

[/ QUOTE ]
    2002 S4 are mistaken to be called 2002 when in fact they were 2001.5 models. If there were any 2003 S4's, then they were B6 S4's from the Euro market. Very different cars from the B5 S4.
  15. jdp1962

BuLLiTT

Are you in Europe or North America?
  16. imported_krnbk1

imported_krnbk1 Guest

Yo bro if i were you i'd buy a 2000 S4 cause you can find them pretty cheap.
    You should be able to find them for 17,000 - 20,000

you can do so much work to them and my them nice. the only bitch about the S4 it when you wanna work on the turbo
    to get to the turbo you have to take the grill of like the whole fruntal area. But i'd deffinaly get one if i were you.
  17. imported_krnbk1

imported_krnbk1 Guest

for bad tings that you might run into is with there turbos. Audi dont make very reliable turbos.