What tyres

consilio

Up the owls!
Reaction score
Getting ready for some new tryes, and looking at the tyres the car came with (Dunlops) they are one of those daft "AO" audi only codes that instantly add 20% to the price. Have been quoted £168 a tyre on those!

So, any suggestions on alternatives or should I stick with the suggested tyre?

That a good price!!

Continentals 3's are on mine and I will stick with them as the have been a very good Tyre on the car and lasted well. They are over £200 a piece too!!

Hmmmnnn.Hardly an indepth assessment.And compared to what? Unfortunately Consilio all the road tests including autocar etc give differing results.Only flaw is that the driven tests are in a differant car and are not driven by you!!.Ive tried a stack of tyres on my a4 2.0 tdi sline and each are differant.The constant that i have is that they are on my car and im driving!.I found that the bridgestone s001' to be the best all rounder...it has a nice stiff sidewall that prevents roll.Could be better in the wet though.The goodyears and contis (esp the 5p) grip like sh to a blanket wet or dry, but have a soft sidewall and boy do they wallow like a 2cv.Dunlops i wouldnt put on a wheelchair, and i havent tried michelin yet (spent too much trying the conti bridgestones and goodyears).As i said i like the bridgestones but some people think that they are craap.Welcome to the minefield.As for the AO markings, i have yet to find out exactly what differance it makes.Except as you say the price.Just because your car came with dunlops, doesnt mean that they are a standard/recommended fit.Its a case of whoever audi can get the best deal/supply from.Ive had bridgestones and contis on my two, but ive seen dunlop, avon and goodyears on some new cars.On your S4, i would go with conti 5p.But Id get recommendations/thoughts from other S4 owners.Its not a cheap decision.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3.

Next month Costco will be having a deal where is you buy 4 tyres, you'll get 20% off.

I've got contis on mine but may try vredesteins next time. I had Goodyear assymetrics on my B7 and they were great but didn't last long.

I need some for mine soon, if I keep the 18"s or not I'll be getting some Goodyear eagle F1 assymetric 2's, they seem to be rated very well on tyre reviews.

Well depends what u use car for. I only commute to work and back so I use cheap crap!! If I was racing or tracking id use Pilot Sport 3's.

Well depends what u use car for. I only commute to work and back so I use cheap crap!! If I was racing or tracking id use Pilot Sport 3's.

Good tyres don't have to expensive but I would never put "cheap crap" on any car especially if I was using it to commute to work, I bought an Octavia vrs from a dealer and the front tyres were some Chinese garbage and the car was ok in a straight line but try a corner and it was a death trap.

Last pair I bought were £50 for a pair of 5mm deep part worns off Ebay.........

Good tyres don't have to expensive but I would never put "cheap crap" on any car especially if I was using it to commute to work, I bought an Octavia vrs from a dealer and the front tyres were some Chinese garbage and the car was ok in a straight line but try a corner and it was a death trap.

As in most things in life, you get what you pay for

I just got Michelin Pilot Sport 3. cheapest place on the internet is camskill for £151.80 each.
Great Grip in the dry and wet and very long lasting plus they have huge rim protectors!
Plus these are the Audi (AO) fitment!

Michelin Tyres / Car / Michelin PS3 Pilot Sport 3 Michelin PS 3 - 245/40R18 93Y (AO) TL �151.80 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 245/40/18, 245/40R18

Is the sidewall soft or hard? need to know please as i quite fancy trying them next

Last pair I bought were £50 for a pair of 5mm deep part worns off Ebay.........

I wouldnt boast about that! Do you know the history of the tyres ie have they been kerbed etc suffered internal damage?

All well and good but on a budget I can't really warrant £800 for tyres on low profile 19" rims

About the best tyre your gonna get for around the £100 mark is Falken 452s they are a great tyre and perform about the same as Vredesteins, I have had both makes several times over the last 6 years and my old ST Tdci ate front tyres for fun.
Have a look on blackcircles.com

About the best tyre your gonna get for around the £100 mark is Falken 452s they are a great tyre and perform about the same as Vredesteins, I have had both makes several times over the last 6 years and my old ST Tdci ate front tyres for fun.
Have a look on blackcircles.com

Yes they get good reviews, Avon ZZ3s are also very good, I got a set fitted to my Skoda for £110 each (18s)

Thanks for the varied comments. Have got it booked in for some Pirelli PZero Rosso's 245/40/18, fitted for £164 a corner, which I am happy with as I always felt that the Dunlops were noisy

You asked for tyre advice and went for a make of tyre that nobody recommended! :think:

Why did you choice Pirelli in the end?

I replaced my front Dunlops like for like, but ****** hell I wish I'd got them for £168, my 19s were £230+ (etyres). Got over 20k from them and although I've favoured michelins in the past I was only replacing the front two this time round so felt happier having a matching set. Never had any grip or issues with them.

You asked for tyre advice and went for a make of tyre that nobody recommended! :think:

Why did you choice Pirelli in the end?

Actually ScottishS3's comments led me to them. I looked at the Michelins which I had in the past but were much more expensive at my local garage. Although I could have bought them myself and had my garage fit them, it still worked out more expensive. The Pirelli's (also had these before) were a bit cheaper and my local garage can supply them, so that seemed the easiest option with a tyre i am happy with

Actually ScottishS3's comments led me to them. I looked at the Michelins which I had in the past but were much more expensive at my local garage. Although I could have bought them myself and had my garage fit them, it still worked out more expensive. The Pirelli's (also had these before) were a bit cheaper and my local garage can supply them, so that seemed the easiest option with a tyre i am happy with

Never had pirellis but they're a premium tyre so they should be good, be sure to let us know what you think of them.

Is the sidewall soft or hard? need to know please as i quite fancy trying them next
To be honest, I'm not sure but the fronts lasted for 25k miles and the rears which have done 25k are like new!!!! They grip like nobody's business!I had my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's DELIVERED NEXT DAY for £303 from Camskill!!!!!!I was quoted £400-500 for both from every other online or local Tyre Place!

To be honest, I'm not sure but the fronts lasted for 25k miles and the rears which have done 25k are like new!!!! They grip like nobody's business!I had my Michelin Pilot Sport 3's DELIVERED NEXT DAY for £303 from Camskill!!!!!!I was quoted £400-500 for both from every other online or local Tyre Place!

Could you give them a prod ( ooeer) for me please?....and at that price i take it you have 18" on?

I wouldnt boast about that! Do you know the history of the tyres ie have they been kerbed etc suffered internal damage?

No, but with the state of UK roads I recon everyone is driving about on tyres that have seen a fair amount of grief.

I have used part worns for the last 10 years without any issues. I would not use one that has had a major repair or shows any signs of running flat. Most are take offs from Germany where is is illegal to replace just one tyre on an axle, so if they get a puncture the good tyre on the other side is taken off and exported.

As for AO tyres, Audi dealers dont bother fitting AO tyres to used cars on the forecourt so why should we?

Yes they get good reviews, Avon ZZ3s are also very good, I got a set fitted to my Skoda for £110 each (18s)

My car currently has the Avon ZZ3s on the front and Pirrelli PZero Rossi on the back. Both seem very good but the Pirrelli (according to service printout) were fitted about 15000 miles ago and look like new!
I may put the same Pirrelli's on the front when due if I can get them for the right money, if not it will be Vreds for me :)

Tell me about it.What with my buggering about trying differant brands has cost me a bomb.Should have had 18's and dropped the car. Hey Ho, too late now.

My car currently has the Avon ZZ3s on the front and Pirrelli PZero Rosso on the back. Both seem very good but the Pirrelli (according to service printout) were fitted about 15000 miles ago and look like new!
I may put the same Pirrelli's on the front when due if I can get them for the right money, if not it will be Vreds for me :)

Mistake the Avons on my car are the ZZ5s, very good value for around £150 a pop :)

I find the p zero's a bit slidey in the wet. They grip quite well in the dry but I feel they squirm about a bit in cornering. Goodyear f1's on the rear seem really good though!