What Tyres for my S3

• Thread starter imported_UncleRogi
  • Start date
I

imported_UncleRogi

I need 4 new tyres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (well 3, but ones pretty close so I might as well change it)

I have standard 17" Avus Alloys (nothing interesting) and need very good tyres /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Which Manufacturers should I be looking at?

Toyo Proxes T1-R. They're the replacement for the T1-S.

Just had them fitted on my T-Sport and their performance is outstanding in both wet and dry. Previously with my pilot sports I couldn't launch the car with anything more than 3K revs without getting wheel spin... Now no problems wet or dry.

Oh and as tyres go they've got a pretty sexy tread pattern .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

t1r_hi.jpg

I have to disagree on that, I recently got some T1R's fitted to the rear wheels, however on braking and in corner braking the back seems to slide around a bit and doesn't have the out of corner traction I have had before. Maybe I need to wear them in further but the traction I have to say is pretty poor compared to F1s I've had previously on the rear. For the price they are similar to the F1s and so on, but I think I will go back to F1s next time I need a new set, pricing was slighly cheaper though. Best price for the F1s I hear is Bracknell Tyres at £88.00 a shoe, not sure if that included VAT though.

I had Conti Sport Contacts and they were very good in the wet and dry

I have to back up what jester has said about the new toyos, i have a mate who had a new set fitted to his subaru turbo wagon, and he hates them with a passion, he had the S's before and thought they where better (although he still didnt like them).

He had less grip when braking hard and initial turn in was appalling the tyre would just role over onto the tyre wall, and this was with small 40 profile tyres (205 width). Also the tread was mess after a few goes around a track, okay it was dry and you would expect the tread to suffer slightly but no one else tyres came close to the state his where in.

Have to say i prefer Goodyear F1's (the standard ones better than the high load ones), and i also like the P6000's ive got on my 17" alloys, although ive only tried these in the dry.

Mark

Really? Im surprised at that!

Anyone had experience with Vredestein Ultracs? Looking at those aswell for when i replace my Toyos shortly... got T1-S at the moment!

Cheers

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Anyone had experience with Vredestein Ultracs? Looking at those aswell for when i replace my Toyos shortly... got T1-S at the moment!

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

They are quite hard to get a hold of, I asked at my local place and a couple of others but they all gave a blank look. Heard about some sticky BF Goodrich ones but unsure of them.

i have in tried a few, in order of getting better:

pirelli p zero nero - cheap but rear squirms esp in wet
toyo t1-s
bridgestone s03 pp very good, particularly in wet
goodyear f1 gsd3 best - slightly better than the so3 in the dry and wet and cheaper as well.

Those BF's look good..anyone know if they are any good? Im nervous going for anything other than what i know... Are the goodyears actually better than the T1-S? If so, how?

Rich

Anyone ever heard of Marangoni Zeta Linea's?? Only our S3 came with these on, and i have been pretty impressed, dry handling is v.good and found their actually ok in the wet too...

Apparently they are reasonably big on the continent, but could only get them through blackcircles...

is anyone running Pirelli P Zero Rosso 225/40 18??

I have them on mine and I'm well pleased but my frame of reference is only Conti Sport 225/45 on 17s which I didn't like.

Interested to hear anyone opinions compared to S03 and Goodyears.

02 225 black S3

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:

I have them on mine and I'm well pleased but my frame of reference is only Conti Sport 225/45 on 17s which I didn't like.

02 225 black S3

[/ QUOTE ]

I've driven on P-Zero Rossos and was far from impressed... Not a patch on the Toyo's

I hate the Toyo's too,
Haven't lasted anywhere near as long as my old Bridgestone S03 PP's so I think I'll go back to them next. I drive my S3 hard and I think traction in wet and dry is average at best.

Good luck

here are some more info from the new shape A3 forum:
http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=1,10,15,105,200,900,1000&Board=golfII&Number=109712&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

Looks like goodyear F1 and Bridgestone S02/S03 are best
am trying to find the cheapest around on the web but nothing at less than £100 a corner!

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:
[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:

02 225 black S3

[/ QUOTE ]

I've driven on P-Zero Rossos and was far from impressed... Not a patch on the Toyo's

[/ QUOTE ]

Tried the P-Zero as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif and replaced them after a week for Yokohama's Advan A048. These have far better grip, being semi-slick.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Wheel001.JPG

See i want to get some Toyo R888's...Road legal track tyres, but they would be ****** all use for the winter! So i have to settle for the stickiest road tyres i can find... I cant justify £800 for a set of track tyres and then another £500 for road tyres!

Rich

Rich, I've a collegue who is getting the Toyo 888s on his EVO IV for a track day at the weekend, then WINTER! I'll let you know how he gets on, it should be fun, be he is confident that things will be grand...

I'm shopping for new tyres too, and going by reviews and opinions here the F1s or Toyo T1-R will get my vote. I think any tyre can be subjectively poor depending on the setup it is fitted to. I have never much been able to tell the difference between tyres and wheel tyre combos on most cars, but on the S3 (firm suspension and well adjusted) and my 200 (very firm suspension, less well adjusted) the differences are easily appreciable. On standard cars the difference is very hard to spot.

As for the comment about the toyos not lasting as long as the RE0-40s?? They aren't designed to, they are a softer tread compound!

Anyone thought about these?
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS Fiorano Tire

goodyear_eagle_f1supercar_lg.jpg

Rotation specific AND corner specific tyres (i.e. you buy 4 different tyres, one for each wheel!!)

[ QUOTE ]
RichA3Turbo said:

Cheers

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Had Vredestein Sports on my 328i sport beemer, on the back and they were just as good as the Dunlop sp9000 and Conti Sport contact 2's that were on before, except they were only £110 a tyre for 245/45/17 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thank you Glen,
Have you any comments on the F1?
Would you recommand any for my car which is a different setup (ie heavy front engine and standard) than any S3
Thanks

UncleRogi said
[ QUOTE ]
Got a Local Garage to Quote me 457 For all 4 corners for Goodyear F1's Fitted which isn't bad.

I'll probably go for it, bit more surfing to do first, thanks for the advice

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know where you are in Surrey, but Bracknell tyres did me 4 F1's for £88 corner and in IMO they are superb

I can only comment on the michelin PS2's with regard to the S3, but they have been fantastic in terms of grip and wear rate!

My Type-R used to chew tyres every 8K so went through a vast range on that and found:

Bridgestone RE040's great in the dry, terrible in the wet, but had strong side walls with little flex.

Pirelli p Zero - Sheer Aweful! they were better than the Re040's in the wet but in the dry they gave no confidence at all! The side walls were so soft it felt like the tyres were coming off the rims. Also the rim protector is none existant!

Toyo T1-S - fantastic in the wet and dry on both the CTR and my GF's 172. I found these very reasonable in price too.

just called Bracknel tyres and prices are not that cheap:
for 225/40/18 all incl.
F1's are £105.75 and T1-S are £108 (T1-R not available in that side yet they said?)

[ QUOTE ]
paultaylor said:
need two new fronts, tempted to get the Toyos and leave the Rosso(which have plenty of tread left) on the back, but would this be un wise for the chassis balance? but then again with the understeer I have I need as much front end grip as I can get!

any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar problem with my pilot sports. I was getting ridiculous understeer, along with wheel spin etc. I decided to put the new tyres on the front instead of the back and so far I'm still getting understeer. (Obviously no where near as much as before). The tyres have only done 200 miles so far though so I may have to swap them. I've been warned though that they new tyres should have gone on the back .. but we'll see .. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
StephV6 said:
just called Bracknel tyres and prices are not that cheap:
for 225/40/18 all incl.
F1's are £105.75 and T1-S are £108 (T1-R not available in that side yet they said?)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm running 225/45/17 F1's and they are £88 per corner.....sorry for any confusion I didnt realise that 18's were so much more expensive!!!

Does anyone know how to set up one of those vote things and we can get a bit of a poll on the top 10 tyres for an S3.

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 ZR 18's (came with the car from new) but will probably need replacing soon. I take it no-one likes these as they've not been mentioned as yet ??

did anyone see last year's Autocar tyre test and the tyre test they did last April?

Rosso won both times out, five seconds a lap quicker on Michelin own wet handling circiut than the latest Pilot Sports, Michelin engineers looked so depressed!

Testers of the latest Cupra R rave about them and they were fitted to 03 Scoobie a friend had on loan late last year, I'm really happy with mine , althought the fronts have worn quickly, but I can't help wondering am I missing something by not trying Toyos or Goodsyears??

Any thoughts?

[ QUOTE ]
MancheS3er said:
Does anyone know how to set up one of those vote things and we can get a bit of a poll on the top 10 tyres for an S3.

[/ QUOTE ]
It would have to be a new topic.

[ QUOTE ]
MancheS3er said:
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 225/40 ZR 18's (came with the car from new) but will probably need replacing soon. I take it no-one likes these as they've not been mentioned as yet ??

[/ QUOTE ]
I mentioned them ... but your right I didn't like em /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i have just had four new tryes on my s3 and i went for the goodyear F1 GSD3.. I think that the ride and drive of the car is much better now compared to the original Bridgestones it had.. Cornering in the wet feels much more safer and grip in the dry is also very good..

I have always had Toyo T1-S before but the Goodyears feel much better in the wet then the Toyyo's..

Right I have two choices now :
4 F1 GSD3 for £480 all incl and fitted at my house
or 4 Toyos T1-R for £480 all incl but fitted in Rochord
What would you recommand?

Ok, I've just had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s (17") fitted on my S3 at Bracknell Tyre and Battery. Cost was £352 all in.

Grip and feel is excellent. Also very importantly, I hadn't appreciated the structure of the tyre but it has a slight lip to it. The result is that it is much harder to kerb your alloys which is a huge bonus.

I can't vouch for any other tyres but the Pirellis I previously had on did not have this protective feature and as a result my alloys got a fairly regular battering.

[ QUOTE ]
Dylarolla said:
Ok, I've just had 4 Goodyear Eagle F1s (17") fitted on my S3 at Bracknell Tyre and Battery. Cost was £352 all in.

Grip and feel is excellent. Also very importantly, I hadn't appreciated the structure of the tyre but it has a slight lip to it. The result is that it is much harder to kerb your alloys which is a huge bonus.

I can't vouch for any other tyres but the Pirellis I previously had on did not have this protective feature and as a result my alloys got a fairly regular battering.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wont be sorry with the F1's, good grip and good life as I'm just coming up for replacing mine after over a year, especially considering my manner of drving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Had my F1's a week or so, can't fault them for more grip and less road noise, I paid £400 at a place in trafford park (manchester). If find people who arn't interested in cars even notice them and ask me about them!

right on the a3 f1's understeered like mad, but bridgestone re040's were very good, but s02 and s03 were very bad, especially in the wet.
on the s3 t1-s were invincible, def saved me on one occasion.
have had p zero rossos and i thought they were amazing, and p zero neros are even better!

just my 2pc worth.

[ QUOTE ]
caractere 007 said:
right on the a3 f1's understeered like mad

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to be talking about in the wet, because I have to pushing the car well beyond it's limits for it to dramatically understeer.....but my style of driving does not give freely to letting off the gas, so I tend to add more power and spin up the wheels in order to keep traction.