What tyres for my S3 ??

sidicks

Reaction score
Forgive me for asking a question that's been asked (many times) previously. I'm still confused as to what is best...

My 99V S3 needs new tyres and I don't know what to buy. I'm guessing that the most appropriate tyres will depend on the sort of driving I do and the price I'm prepared to pay.

My priorities are as folows:
1. Wet Grip
2. Dry grip
3. handling/breakaway characteristics
4. Looks
5. Noise
6. Price
7. Wear rate

Is there anything else I should be considering ??

The options appear to be:
Bridgestone S03
Goodyear Eagle F1
Toyo T1-S
Michelin Pilot Sports
Pirelli PZero (rosso ?)

Size is 225/45 ZR17, if I remember correctly.

The car won't be used on a track and I'm getting too old to throw it round too much on the roads, so it's mainly just about giving me confidence when 'pushing-on', particularly in the wet.

Was it the Pirelli that came out really well in the Autocar test recently (albeit on an M3) ??

Any objective advive gratefully received !

Cheers

sidicks

I've been using the toyos on various cars now for about 5 years and I've always been happy with them. I think their best points are wet grip, looks and price, in that order. The dry grip ain't bad at all either, its just you notice how fast you seem to be going compared to other people in the wet. Cost wise I paid about £80 a tyre fitted for my T Sport (205-55-R16).

They aren't always the easiest tyre to find, there is a list of dealers on toyos web site, plus there are a couple of online dealers who sell them.

HTH

Chris.

I have recently fitted the new g/year eagle f1's all round and found them superb, very good in the wet !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I've got Rosso's on my S3 as shipped from the factory. Can say I'm that impressed with the grip or noise from them. Have run Toyo Proxes T1S on another car, and found them a good all round tyre. Bridgestone Potenza RE040's are OK, and have a good kerb guard for the alloy.

Tyre choice is very subjective..

but.. Bridestone SO3s are probably the best, they're expensive and don't last long.

Goodyears I don't like, never have.

Toyos are good.

falkens probably just loose out to the toyos but they are cheaper.

Avon are crap, I wouldn't even line a track crash barrier with them.

Worst set I've ever had were Yoko's absolutely amazing in the dry, severely ***** in the wet, but a very aggresive tread pattern.

Toyo's good all rounders and are great on my BMW.

What model yokos were they do you remember ?cos thats what i wanted to put on mine when the time comes. I remember haveing A509s on one of my previous cars and i liked them, didnt last very long tho

[ QUOTE ]
Avon are crap, I wouldn't even line a track crash barrier with them.

[/ QUOTE ]
Factory fitted to all Bentleys and Rolls! Can't be too bad? Got a great name in motorsport.

Another vote for Toyo`s. Had them on my last Golf (V5 170bhp) and now have them on my S3, they may not be the best but for the money they can`t be beaten IMHO.

[ QUOTE ]
quick S3 said:
What model yokos were they do you remember ?cos thats what i wanted to put on mine when the time comes. I remember haveing A509s on one of my previous cars and i liked them, didnt last very long tho

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't remember, it was winter the roads were a bit slippery and the Yoko's didn't do so well........especially when I hit the back of a transit van in the wet! Shortly after that I was reading an article where the Tyres I had came off in last place for wet braking, but they were brilliant in the dry.

The Toyo T1-S are some of the best tyres I've come across ...........IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before deciding get gen'd up and take a look at the below link, it reviews all major brand tyres (I think) and supports my Yoko experience.....so it must be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp

I think you'll agree a well worth while link to add to your favorites, I forgot I had it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

So

Bridgestones or Toyo's ??

Vote now.............

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1045835482sidicks">

Which tyres ?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />Bridgestone S03
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />Toyo T1-S
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

Thanks

You forgot to add 'big black sticky ones' to the poll!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the link Gambba ill have aread this evening ooppps maybe not its a friday . tomor then

Cheers M8

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
Can't remember, it was winter the roads were a bit slippery and the Yoko's didn't do so well........especially when I hit the back of a transit van in the wet! Shortly after that I was reading an article where the Tyres I had came off in last place for wet braking, but they were brilliant in the dry.

The Toyo T1-S are some of the best tyres I've come across ...........IMO. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Before deciding get gen'd up and take a look at the below link, it reviews all major brand tyres (I think) and supports my Yoko experience.....so it must be good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/tyretest/tests.asp

I think you'll agree a well worth while link to add to your favorites, I forgot I had it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I noticed on that link - how well the Conti's did.

They are std equipment on the M3 and 911 Turbo, along with Michelin Pilot Sports.

-- james

Well I had all 4 tyres changed for Pirelli P7000s last week and I am absolutely amazed at the improvement!

Not only is there *loads* more grip, but they are also significantly quieter too (which is a bonus!), *AND* the tread looks good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Highly recommended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Alex.

Yeah, although they're my first performance tire, the Conti's seem great /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Especially where grip and road noise are concerned. I've had them up to around 210 kph, and they are about as loud as my original summer tires were at around 160. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I got the Mitch sport contact 2's, not a bad tyre - much better in the wet that the old RE040s that I had.

Sidewalls flex a bit more but the car seems to hang on for longer on tight bends.

I got 27K out of the potenza's be interesting to see what I get out of the Conti's.

[ QUOTE ]
sidicks said:
Toyo T1-s to be fitted this afternoon.

Hope I've made the right choice !!!

sidicks

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh you have, I have been running on them for 3k and they are fantastic. They are my puddle eaters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
27K out of the potenza's

[/ QUOTE ]
holy cow! do you drive Miss Daisy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I only managed 13k, never on a track on not that much abuse /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Lol - majority of my miles are motorway ones.

They all wore evenly to the wear indicators.

My DIS reads 32.5 mg &amp; has done for some time - I must be driving like miss daisy.

Tank record for me is now 375 before the fuel light comes on.

[ QUOTE ]
My DIS reads 32.5 mg &amp; has done for some time - I must be driving like miss daisy.

Tank record for me is now 375 before the fuel light comes on.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Think I have managed 330 miles on a full tank, I do mainly urban though. My avergage fuel consumption is usually 26mpg and 29-30mpg on the motorway. Did manage 6mpg on the 1/4 mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif note to myself must drive harder !