1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What tyre pressure?????????????????

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by imported_alecblack, Apr 21, 2005.

1. imported_alecblack

imported_alecblack Guest

Hi,
    Can anybody tell me the ideal tyre pressure to be running on my car.

I have a 97 Turbo Sport which has 205/55/16 tyres, I am currently running them 30 psi but im not sure if this is correct.
  2. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Recommended is 28 all round, detailed on the lable inside the petrol flap.
  3. imported_alecblack

imported_alecblack Guest

I would feel that 28 would be too low. I was thinking about putting them to 32-34 as i felt they were a bit soft.

Can anyone else tell me what yours all sit on.

cheers
  4. AndyMac

Well what's the point of asking the question then?

I think you'll find that it's the suspension that's too soft coupled with the the higher profile stock wheels. Most people on here run 17's or 18's so tyre pressure will be completely different.
    Over inflating your tyres will just mean you'll wear out the centres, it won't make the car handle any better or make the ride harder.
  5. imported_alecblack

imported_alecblack Guest

The point in asking the question andy was MY ideas of what they would feel better on and what they should be on may be two different pressures, which it turns out they are.

But thanks for your input anyway.
    Alec
  6. The Slug

The Slug Active Member

Best thing to do is try different pressures yourself and have a play, everone has a different driving style
  7. AndyMac

Alec, you stated that you weren't sure whether running 30psi was correct, so I assumed you wanted to run the correct pressure.
  8. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

Lets face it, the tyre pressures as suggested on the label inside of the fuel flap are 'safe' pressures, with maximum economy and tyre ware in mind I would presume. So just tinker with the tyre pressures until you are most confortable with them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif As suggested by Andy, avoid over inflating if you don't want to ware the centers of the tyres quickly and don't under inflat which will ware the outer edges instead - Goodluck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif