What turbo have I got?

jonny87

Reaction score
this sounds a bit stupid, but i dont know which turbo i have on my car!!
was sold the car under the belief it has an ihi hybrid, when at jabba was told it had since blown that turbo and was replaced with a different one, cant remember which one the guy said it was, a vfr turbo? does that mean anything to anyone?

from reading various threads on here im certain its not a ko3 and fairly sure its not a k04, how can i find out for sure, if i got underneath with a torch could i find a serial number or some sort of identification mark to confirm what i have?

a picture tells a thousand words matey.....

VFR sounds potentially IHI related to me, as it's the VF34 turbo that's usually fitted in the BT conversions.

YESSS!!!!

thats what he said a vf34 turbo, so is that a good turbo?
if i remember correctly he said its a slight step down from an ihi hybrid, reckoned it should still be good for 330bhp against 360+ bhp for the ihi

ah, i've just done some searching on here and google about this turbo
seems to me like its not a very popular choice amongst the s3/a3 owners, i read a very interesting build thread on here from about 2 or 3 years ago by a guy called kev (ntc) who used a vf34 turbo on his a3, but that is about it, everyone else seems to go garrett or other ihi hybrid, any reason why?

to the best of my knowledge (not going off what the guy who sold it me said, as seems like he didnt know or made it up) this is what is on the car currently:
fmic
bigger injectors 440cc
standard internals - no reciepts to say otherwise
standard airbox with drop in
scooby downpipe
full miltek system
in car boost gauge - currently spiking at 18-19psi
samco tip
paddle clutch

as far as i can see everything else is standard, all work was done originally at jabbasport god knows who's been messing with it in the last 24 months that they havent seen it!!

im thinking taking somewhere to be dyno'd and maybe have the map played with, i would estimate its currently 280 ish bhp certainly no more than 300bhp, from what ive read this turbo is capable of more quite comfortably, yes?

i sold mine about nearly two years ago and have heard nothing from it since it was a ming blue one with 1.9 rebuild ihi vf 34 from jabba after i that took it jbs for nos but took that out before i sold it.

turbo might be capable of more but the internals sure aint
rods supposidly snap after 300 horses

i sold mine about nearly two years ago and have heard nothing from it since it was a ming blue one with 1.9 rebuild ihi vf 34 from jabba after i that took it jbs for nos but took that out before i sold it.

nah this one is red mate, what was it running with nos, bet it was a right laugh?

turbo might be capable of more but the internals sure aint
rods supposidly snap after 300 horses

doesnt that depend on which engine type you have, wernt some fitted with forged rods and larger gudgeon pins?