What to look for....

njonesn

Reaction score
Hi.
I am considering trading in my Hyundai Coupe for an A4 Avant.

Previous to my Coupe I owned a TDi Bora which I loved. Have always said that I would return to a German Diesel and I think now is the time (little one on the way).

I am looking to spend between £6000 and £8000 which I think should get me a 2004/2005 model.

I would expect mileage to be around 50K-60K however I have found many other newer models with much higher mileage.

Can anyone advise on what to look out for in a 2004/2005 model A4?
I.e. known issues, timing/cam belt changes, other expensive mileage dependant service work etc.

Any advise welcomed as well as thoughts about newer but +100K mileage TDi's.

Thanks
Nathan

Hi mate, good luck in your search, mine is 2004 95K 1.9tdi and the only thing I have had done apart from the cam belt and water pump is have it serviced regular and it is still going strong.

Maybe if you find some examples place the links up here for people to comment on.
Ian

1.9 tdi will do 200k plus if serviced well ,
i service a few with over 200k and one with 245k and still strong
and i service loads with over 130k
so i wouldnt worry too much about mileage take the car as it feels and drives .

Hi, keep one ear open for a noisey a/c pump, mine has just turned 94k and when backing off the throttle there was an awful screeching noise, turned out to be the a/c pump bearing had departed i took the belt off no noise, so £300 odd quid later it is now fine,i have also had a cluch and of course flywheel and have front link arms mentioned on the last 2 mot's but overall a great motor.also if you are looking for an avant look for evidence of water in the boot trim as the r/w/w pipe has a habbit of falling off.