What to do...

• Thread starter imported_apcourtenay
  • Start date
I

imported_apcourtenay

Hey guys i'm new to the forum, i just got an audi a4 avant 1.6 2000 w

I'm only 19 so couldn't have got a faster car for insurance reasons, but mum and dad wanted me to have a bigger and safer car and i need more space for uni.

at the moment its pretty much standard, what can i do to it (saving up for some rs4 wheels atm!)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

The best way of debadging it is to use dental floss. You might need to put some heavy-duty gloves on though, or you'll end up cutting your hands. Get the floss between the paintwork and the badge and try to saw away at the adhesive - you'll have to use a fair bit of force. Take your time and there's no way you can damage anything.

Don't even think about using a screwdriver!

As for mods, being a 1.6 you'd be far better upgrading the looks/handling, as it would be hard (and very expensive) to tune it to a noticable level.

The RS4 wheels are a good start, and from there you should be looking at getting it lowered.

There's quite a few styling options available for our shape of A4; if you want my opinion though, keep things subtle! Do a few searches with Google or a decent search engine for 'A4 styling' or something similar, and you'll find quite a few websites offering bodykits/spoilers etc. Zender and MS Design do some good stuff, and there's also Votex, who produce the OEM styling parts for Audi and VW. Nobody's going to be cheap, so be wary of anything that seems too good to be true. Alot of B5 owners are going for the RS4 front bumper aswell. Most opt for a cheaper replica, but one or two clever chaps have been known to fit a genuine one - involving alot of work to get it to fit properly and look the business.

Have a look on ebay as well, and you might find some styling bits at a good price.

Make sure you sort out anything that may need replacing/servicing before you splash out on luxuries like wheels and bodykits - the last thing you want is a car that's all show and no go. Literally!

Hope this helps.

Drew.

easiest way to get the badge off is to use a blow dryer and dental/fishing line. Heat it up with the blow dryer then saw with the dental/fishing line

Hmmm. Just done that one mate.

Forget the blow dryer; you won't need to heat anything up as long as you use enough force. (Maybe our American friends are a bit soft).

Drew.

best way to take the badges off is too heat them up, peel the plastic off, then use a toffee wheel to remove the glue.

I have to disagree. Why do you need to heat anything up? Maybe as a last resort, yes, but you should be able to cut through the adhesive without any trouble using dental floss alone.

Using heat anywhere near paintwork is a risk - albeit a very small risk - so you should only be doing it if you simply can't get through the adhesive.

a.p.courtenay - try it just with the floss first. I'd be very surprised if you can't do it in one go.

If anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Hammer and chisel? Hacksaw? Angle grinder?

Drew.

Just as an afterthought; when the badges are off and you've removed as much of the tacky foam stuff from the paint as possible, use thinners or something similar to get rid of the residue. When that's gone you may see a faint outline of where the badge has been. This is due to some types of paint fading over the years because of sunlight. Use T-Cut or a similar MILD abrasive and carefully restore the panel to one uniform shade of colour. If it needs it, and you can be bothered, do the whole car!! Use a polish afterwards to get rid of the abrasive. With your car being a 2000 though, I wouldn't have thought you'd have any of these issues with your paintwork.

Let us know how you get on.

Drew.

or if you use a toffee wheel then you don't need to take anything like thinners near your car which will do more harm than good.
a haidryer for a few seconds won't make any difference to th paint, get more heat from the summer weather than one of those things.

i'd use a hairdryer as i have done in the past because it heats the glue up which makes it softer and more pliable.

If you can't find paint thinners, then just drill a hole and saw all around the badge to completely remove it. mesh it up and fill with paper mache. then use poster paint to get a colour match. ... surely that is a better idea than using paint thinners!

Ok, maybe thinners isn't the best thing to use, but some kind of spirits would do the trick.

But I can't see why you need to heat anything up. It's not as if it's a tough job. Why mess around getting an extension lead for a hairdryer when you can get a bit of dental floss and get it off the car in less than a minute?

ajmackie - thanks for your two pence worth. Really helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if a.p.courtenay doesn't bother with this forum if he thinks all we do is take the p*ss. Let's not get into a slanging match over this.

Drew.

I cant remember who recommended this to me when i posted this debadging question ages ago on this forum but Autoglym Tar Remover will remove the excess glue easily and wont affect the paintwork at all.

Also not trying to get into this debate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif but I was told also to use a hairdryer and did do. Suppose as long as you use it with caution and feel the badge till its warm ie not leave it on too long then its fine. (and was really cold weather so made sense to warm the glue so the dental floss cuts straght through.)

Always worth remembering as an option although it is a lot of extra hassle with getting an extension lead out (and I didnt have a hairdryer- so in my case also the old Argos 16 day return policy jobbie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif)

Good comments all round, Yaseen.

Glad it didn't turn into a silly debate. How sad would it be to argue over dental floss and hair dryers??!!!

Drew.

hey guys internet been down for the last few days, thanks for your advice!

i think i'll try using dental floss first and see how that goes, the thing im most worried about is taking off the paint behind the badge and the colour being different as has been said about the sunlight.

dad isn't too keen on my trying this for those reasons, is it worth trying because i don't want to ruin the car!

thanks,

adam

I did mine last year- Mines an early A4 and in bright red- was no colour difference so you should be ok.

If there is...you could always stick the badge back on! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drew 2226 said:

ajmackie - thanks for your two pence worth. Really helpful. I wouldn't be surprised if a.p.courtenay doesn't bother with this forum if he thinks all we do is take the p*ss. Let's not get into a slanging match over this.

Drew.

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax m8, it just seemed so funny when I was reading it to be using paint thinners. I thought you were having a joke at the time. Anyway, no offence intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi a.p.courtenay

As you can see from the previous posts, the advice is pretty consistent so you are in good hands on this forum.

My advice would have been forget the floss and get a 1.8t instead - but as you said, insurance can cost a tad more than the hair dryer.

Have fun buddy.....I had a Opel Kadet when I was at Uni.

Rich /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif

thanks, i'll give it a try, wish me luck!! don't think i'll change the car tho! :p

No probs mackie - I was a stupid thing to suggest really. You know what I meant anyway! All good fun.

Anyway, courtenay, don't be worried about debadging it. You won't take any paint off where the badge has been. The only reason you MAY get a difference in colour is that the badge would have been protecting the paint behind it from the elements. It's very unlikely that you'll see any difference anyway. Red is always the worst colour for it, and as Yaseen says, he had no problems at all.

Get it done mate!

Drew.