What to do with a Navman S50?

Davsurfa

Reaction score
So I had this Navman that worked fine, but then it's rare I'll leave anything alone. Had a quick mooch online to see how to unlock it, because it runs WINce I figured I could use it as a PDA too. Unlocking it was easy and quick, then after a phone call to a mate to see what programs I could put on it he said "Nip over and try this disc".
So I nipped, then uploaded the disc and was amazed at what is on there now!!! I have now got 11 different navigation programs including the original one, Tom Tom and Garmin

25102009087.jpg

Although the most impressive has to be this one

25102009081.jpg

This has 3D maps in the cities. The buildings are the right shape, colour and actually look like the buildings they represent.

On top of this there are also various media players

25102009080.jpg

Including window media player

25102009082.jpg

Then when you get bored of music you could always just pop a movie on(I just tried a short clip to see if it worked).

25102009083.jpg

Or just have a wallpaper of whatever you wish

25102009084.jpg

And of course pretty much every type of tool, useful or otherwise

25102009086.jpg

So having got all of this working I connected an audio lead, 3.5mm jack to phono lead, to the back of my headunit and plugged it in to the headphone socket on the Navman. This way the audio is a lot better than using the mono speaker in the back of the satnav and, on journeys that I know the way on, the otherhalf can sit and watch a movie or play the games. The only problem is trying to get a big enough SD card to put movies and music on.

Still, that was how I spent this arvo and evening. I'm happy with the outcome. I didn't think for a minute I could make a satnav so useful.

5.0 but it now runs windows mobile, and mobile vista according to the start up bit. I'm no genius when it comes to computers but most satnavs can be unlocked and once that's done they'll do loads!!

Just as a taster of the 3d maps this is Corporation Street in Birmingham,

26102009088.jpg

Even the police station looks like the actual building!

Nice one, shrink the pics a bit if you can, Thanks

Mine is Ver 4.2 and i have since found Tom Tom will run on it so will try that

All the software, once it's been unlocked, can be found on GPSUnderground.

I have read about doing this but am always to scared i will screw something up and ****** the sat nav up. What disc did you friend have that you used.

The software he used came from GPSUnderground. Depending on what satnav you are using, I can only speak about the Navman cuz that's all I know, if you download Navdisc if it all goes horribly wrong you can just restore the original software. Unlocking and locking was done using this page whilst the Navman was connected. Any software I have on mine is on the SD card. If I pull the card out it reverts back to the original programming. A 1GB card is the minimum to run all the programs I have but you don't have to run all of them. I have unlocked a S80 Navman and put just the iGO program on there for a mate. Once you have unlocked whichever model you have most of the programs will run although I've not seen the iGO program running on any tomtoms. If you do somehow manage to screw it all up just pull the card and lock it again. It really is that easy.

GPS underground is soooooo painfully slow ATM.

All the links are used to the bits i want too, BBBOOOOHHOOOOO

I have been using a Snopper Indigo which the postcode finder was crap from day one. Have been useing a cheap ebuyer F+H 3.5 version 2 sat nav which i always intended unlocking but chickened out as i am not that great with computers and thought i would screw it up. Now have a TomTom 930T which is a great device.

I have been using a Snopper Indigo which the postcode finder was crap from day one. Have been useing a cheap ebuyer F+H 3.5 version 2 sat nav which i always intended unlocking but chickened out as i am not that great with computers and thought i would screw it up. Now have a TomTom 930T which is a great device.

The Tomtom has the same size screen as my Navman and I have seen unlocked Tomtoms carry most of the programs that I'm running. Have a crack at, like the good Dr Pepper says "What's the worst that can happen?"