What to buy

slightly off topic, but this debate made me think of the top gear episode where they did a "scientific" test of a toyota prius vs a new BMW M3!... they demonstrated that a 4L highly tuned, high performance vehicle could deliver better fuel economy than one of the supposedly greenest vehicles while driven round the top gear track at the same speed!!
I must admit though one of the older M3's (not sure what version) that is actually better than the new M3, it is pretty impressive at mpg, hits like 35 + on a run and not hanging about to much, just letting off all the time at the right moment, and a lighter foot on acceleration

Rear wheel drive is brilliant with a limited slip diff, without - it is just annoying. As for being lively, well with 200bhp, no traction and weighing just 500kg the caterham is about as lively as it gets. treat it with respect and use the power only when you can and nothing beats it. Expecially on roundabouts!.

Bikes, work with a few bike fans and came very close to going for bike test but then found the caterham. That doesn't fall over when you stop! Doesn't fall over on a patch of oil either!

The A4 dash thing is hard to describe. The outside is so slick but the inside is just so slab like. The way the radio and heating console are a seperate material to the body of the rest of the dash just looks old fashioned to me. I don't like the plastic around the sat nav screen either. Sat in a few in the dealerships and they just don't grab me at all. The look good outside too, if a bit limp. Could do with pumping up a bit!

Well an S3 does tick some of your boxes, carrying, small, 4wd, fun, etc. but the one thing that has been stated, I agree, and I can see why people do prefer a 3.2 over the S3 now, is the lack of response at low speeds as the DSG does get into top too early, (6th not 7th) but I can only comment on straight out of the box ones, and not mapped, it is a shame that there is not an 3.2 turbo version :) but it hit me home how I have missed turbos on small cars now for a while not owning one since R5's

Sorry mate but it changes into 7th on the S3 DSG.

Finnie - have you thought about an RS6 Avant?

Space, comfort and speed.