what the fuel ! 2.0 tdi sportback

vw754

vorsprung Durch Technik
Reaction score
my wifes been using the car this week take kids to school,i know she drive steady,last week i did 110 miles and it used £26.66pence of diesel........this week its used similar,why is this,ive filled it up at sainsburys both times and car runs brilliant,ive always filled up to the neck so i cant get more in.....theres no vent button on it that i can see (my a4 had this) is it self venting differently and making me think its used more.....from full ,when the gauge moves a quarter i know im expectin £23+ to fill again....But why is it using so much? even on vag-com the coolant sensor reading are getting over 83/85 so i rule out the coolant sensor being faulty.:sadlike:

Distance covered:- miles

Litres of fuel used :- 18.50 litres @131.9 pence per litre =0.24mpg !

Distance covered:- miles 99.1 !

Litres of fuel used :-1850 litres @ cost per litre 131.9 (pence)

Your fuel consumption
( MPG) ( Km per litre)( litre per 100Km)
Averaging pence per mile
(40+ mpg for petrol is good under 23 is bad)
So * miles would cost
*Change this figure to recalculate the example.

Last edited:
Short runs and diesels don't mix... To get good economy they need long runs. Are you sure the diesel price is right?? The price you quote is for litre of unleaded where I live.

We have a 170 tdi A3 and it costs £75 to fill up and we get 400 miles with short journeys. Long runs and we get 600 miles to a tank...

Not sure how you guys drive but I like to have a bit of fun in short bursts when appropriate and get 450 - 500 miles per tank brim to brim. £66 usually fills up 'cos I get sick of the warning beep every time I switch on the ignition !!

Most of my journeys are now less than 20 miles with the odd motorway trip of 150 miles.

Short runs and diesels don't mix... To get good economy they need long runs. Are you sure the diesel price is right?? The price you quote is for litre of unleaded where I live.

We have a 170 tdi A3 and it costs £75 to fill up and we get 400 miles with short journeys. Long runs and we get 600 miles to a tank...
Must be the short journeys ! i usually drive mine once a week(on my day off work) so never usually do many miles,unless im going on the m-way,is it cuz the weathers been cold latley,im after a diesel for the wife ,she does a lot of local driving..i.e shopping/school and more shopping trips,i want to get a diesel however i did think of a petrol version....surely petrols gonna cost more than a diesl to run?

so either way..........diesels are still a winner over petrol.......running costs and re-sale !

I been searching for ages to find a post with the info on here! :)

I have a 2.0l 170 with the S-tronic gear box and I seem to be getting 38 -43 mpg round town which seems common?

But when Im cruising at 70 - 80 it has never read above 43 mpg? anyone else had this?

I also brim my tank and get 400 max around town and low 300 if i have more than one bout of fun per tank!

I have bluefin but nothing else, maybe time to get a custom map?

S-tronic would be slightly harder on the fuel than manual i would have thought

my 3 door 04 plate 140 manual is doing around 50mpg at the moment on my 48 mile commute to work. I have the econ setting on the aircon as I find that once the outdoor temp is around 10 degrees like today the mpg drops by 2-3.

I also used some redex recently on a tank full and it feels smoother and seems to have crept up slightly.

It works out as £75 tank of fuel = about 570 miles each time.

If i am driving it round town alot more it does drop considerably.

Cheers folks,

I'm planning on getting cruise control fitted which may help

To the O/P,

Do you find that when you fill to the brim you can do around 80 ish miles before the needle moves, then it drops like a lead balloon?

I been searching for ages to find a post with the info on here! :)

I have a 2.0l 170 with the S-tronic gear box and I seem to be getting 38 -43 mpg round town which seems common?

But when Im cruising at 70 - 80 it has never read above 43 mpg? anyone else had this?

I also brim my tank and get 400 max around town and low 300 if i have more than one bout of fun per tank!

I have bluefin but nothing else, maybe time to get a custom map?

We have a MY2010 170bhp DSG and get around the 43mpg. On a good run at 60mph it will get up to 48 - 50mpg but anything over 75mph on the motorway and it starts dropping again.

Cruise control won't improve your fuel consumption. If anything it will make it worse as it will use more fuel on hills etc to maintain the constant speed...

I have a 170 s tronic and get 48-50 mpg and that is worked out manually and not via DIS, I use shell for fuel as Sainsburys would only get avg 43-45.

I drive 32 miles a day through villages passing 7 schools on the way

Cheers all

Cleared up any concerns that something may have been wrong so I'll get back to enjoying the driving :)

I have recently bought a new A3 Sportback 1.4TFSI with all the latest eco-friendly attachments and after 2000 miles of mixed running I have to say how disappointed I am with the m.p.g. My overall average is 40, with short journeys, all in country where stop start has negligible effect ,38mpg and long runs >200 miles averaging 43 mpg. In other words my best distance driving nearly matches the stated urban figure. I have over 50 years of driving experience and have never failed to match the combined figure on any previous car. These poor results seem to be in keeping with the experiences of others on this list who have diesel engines. What on earth are Audi up to ? Other manufacturers, notably Lexus and Mitsubishi have cars which match or exceed the stated figures, so the oft quoted mantra that these test bed figures are for comparison only and are not "real world" is garbage. Needless to say, my car is booked in for a check up this friday just in case it wasn't set up properly in the factory.

My Mondeo sttdci would sit at 80mph and return 56-58 mpg all day long!

Used to get 700 miles out of a tank ( 60 litre )

Not done a full run in this yet but going to Scotland in may so will see what I can get