1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what size Allen for rear brake?

MrTackalakalaka Jul 2, 2012

1. Hello everyone

trying to get the bracket off so i can file where the pads go etc.

Is it an 8mm allen? I had a look and the 8mm seemed to fit but cause they are so tight i don't want to give it some beans and find out its slipping and rounding it off.

Cheers

2. also.....

The bolts to undo the rear calliper (13mm)......where can i get replacements of these? Mine seem quite worn and one is rounding off.

I always thought they came with new sets of pads but weren't any in mine.

3. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

8mm and they are a git to undo... good luck :)

Some pad kits some don't it seems... the bolts can be reused but... seeing as you will no doubt be paying the dealer a visit for new carrier bolts you may as well get some new caliper bolts too lol... :p

<tuffty/>

4. Sevv

Sevv Pushing the limits..

oh joy ill be doing the rears this week too..sigh

5. All done!! No problems at all wahoo......

Except.....for the locking wheel nut key...... Bloody went and buggered it didn't i!

On to McGard now, fingers crossed they can get a new one to me before next monday as my car is in for ALOT of work!

6. Paddymph

Paddymph Member

I'm doing my rears this weekend, any tips?! Never done rears before!

7. [Dave B]

[Dave B] Daddy

Got the wind-back tool?

8. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition...Its all about the flow... Staff Member Moderator Audi S3

Buy/borrow a piston wind in tool... the pistons on these never seem to wanna wind in using pliers like older VAGs...

I would be prepared to buy new carrier bolts from VAG as they have a tendency to round off...use plenty of WD40... copper grease on the slider pins... new bolts for the sliders too (normally come in most decent pad kits...)

<tuffty/>

9. Ste_Nova

Ste_Nova Active Member

electric handbreak ftw! retract it and install pads :)

10. Paddymph

Paddymph Member

Good advice. Thanks :)

Yea got a winder tool from GSF before. Just need to get my locking nuts off now, Ffs!