What product to keep the flexible edge of the sunroof supple?

prt57

Reaction score
Hi,
my S3 has a sunroof and that is fine. However, I also have a GTi 1.8T that I bought new in 1998. The flexible edge of this sunroof had gone a bit crusty with moss. I managed to clean off 16 years of crud and moss from the edge of the hatch to reveal a flexible almost velvet like seal. I would like to protect it and keep it pliable as I would imagine replacing it would be a nightmare.
So which product should do the job?
Cheers
Peter

I assume this is edge is rubber? If so you can get bottles of something called 'gummi pflege' which you can apply to rubber and it will keep it soft and supple. I bought some for my old convertible as I was concerned the exposed rubber trim would harden over time with sun and temp changes. Just search for it on eBay or on Google.

Thanks for the reply. I think the main material will be rubber but the exterior surface that you can feel does have a velvet style of texture. This is the surface that makes the seal with the painted metal of the roof. I had considered using one of the rubber and vinyl trim conditioner products but do not want a bad reaction with the paintwork.
P.