1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What power should i think about adding an extra fuel pump?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by jasongtr, Jun 24, 2014.

1. jasongtr

jasongtr Active Member

[Jun 24, 2014]
    Im building a 4wd (haldex) mk2 golf, it to begin with will have a BAM engine, due to the haldex conversion there won't be room for the standard fuel tank, so I'm having a fuel cell built that will accept the standard A3/Mk4 fuel pump, so a couple of questions.

1. is the main fuel pump (drivers side) from an S3 ok to use with just this part - so not having the passenger side plumbed and plugged in (maybe the passenger side is also part of the level sender???)

2. at what power level do i need to worry about using a front wheel drive A3/Mk4 golf Gti fuel pump, if it can handle 280hp then ignore the 1st question, as if i up the power down the line i can add an additional inline pump and fuel pressure regulator.

cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 19, 2014]

3. Gary_808

Gary_808 Member

[Jun 24, 2014]
    I'm doing the same thing, haldex mk2 that is,
    I'm going with a single external 044 pump in a sumped tank, good for 500-600bhp if I go above that I have a nice aeromotive pump laying about.

I know that's not answered either of your questions but another option.
  4. jasongtr

jasongtr Active Member

[Jun 24, 2014]
    I've considered the complete external pump option, but a for couple of reasons would rather try and use a std pump, i break mk4's and a3's so having replacement pumps is easy, and I'm also putting a full S3 dash in so having a factory fuel gauge appeals too
  5. snowy

snowy Crunching Gears

[Jun 25, 2014]
    Systec do a decent rated replacement

The S3 (and all the AWD mk4s) have a 2nd level sender attached to the venturi pump in the 2nd half of its saddle tank - if its not attached I've heard the fuel gauge has issues

The LCR swirlpot and sender unit might be safer bet

You could try with a standard LCR pump - if that doesn't do the just get one of the systec drop-in replacments
  6. jasongtr

jasongtr Active Member

[Jun 25, 2014]
    ok cheers ill check it out, does anyone know the power limitations of the A3/mk4 gti pump?
  7. snowy

snowy Crunching Gears

[Jun 25, 2014]
    they seem to start having problems after circa 220hp
  8. jasongtr

jasongtr Active Member

[Jun 25, 2014]
    1 wont be using one of them then