1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What petrol? - S3

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Buster, Aug 7, 2006.

1. Buster

Buster Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    I've been using Optimax in my S3 since I bought it but is it really worth it? My mate just runs normal 95 ron in his TT which is the same engine, so is it worth the extra pennys?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 26, 2014]

3. Aldo

Aldo Active Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    I use Tesco 99ron in my A4 FSi, I get more MPG this way, all beit it's slightly more expensive but you should notice an increase in mileage range.
  4. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

[Aug 7, 2006]
    Optimax. all the way.

The engine will run on 95, but even Audi say performance will be affected.

i use optimax, not only for the performance, but for its cleaning properties.

Some report that fuel ecomonmy/miles per tank is better on Optimax, I cant really prove that on my Audi's as they havent drunk anything else.

back on My vectra GSI V6, it did seem to improve economy/mpg, and certainly ran better, was more sprightly.
  5. tonedef

tonedef Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    Optimax, Optimax, Optimax.

95ron costs less but you'll use more so the price should never be used as a sole consideration. Get your car remapped then you'll not have the option any more!
  6. monkeytrousers

monkeytrousers Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    I swear BP Ultimate is even better than Optimax for my remapped S3!

But both Ultimate and Optimax do get the best out of the car, particularly if it's remapped.

You can still use 95RON on a remapped car surely? Just won't be doing the remap justice.
  7. fingermouse

fingermouse thats me

[Aug 11, 2006]
    optimax here

can a bp??????

dunno but a fish can fart ive seen the bubbles ..........
  8. tonedef

tonedef Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    In the Revo instructions it states that premium fuel must be used when in performance mode. Higher boost, lower octane, recipe for det and holed pistons I should say, wouldn't risk not doing myself unless it was a get you home moment and then it'd be driving off boost as much as possible.
  9. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Aug 11, 2006]
    BP Ultimate is best according to the only independant test I've seen that I've heard about and trust, the guys from Millbrook were at LeMans with the BP Ultimate stand doing demos of BP Ulitmate vs 95 and the differences were clear on the dyno.

I got talking to the guy running the demos and Millbrook have done there own tests of optimax vs ultimate vs 95 and ultimate consistantly won with 95 sometimes being better than optimax as 95 is normally over 95RON as they can't let it be below 95RON.

I normally fill up with optimax as it's easier however if given the choice I'd probably go for ultimate after what I heard!
  10. monkeytrousers

monkeytrousers Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    That's really interesting news. I've been saying for months that BP Ultimate feels better than Optimax. Ultimate is 97 whereas Optimax is 98 ... just goes to show that higher RON does not mean higher performance.
  11. JamS3

JamS3 Active Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    The tests fifth gear did on 95Ron, BP and Optimax came out with Optimax being better on everything!

I believe Evo did a comparison too and Optimax was better and smoother revving higher in the rev band and BP gave a little extra torque but was not as good in the top end.
  12. DPM

DPM Site Sponsor Site Sponsor

[Aug 11, 2006]
    When i was down at MRC getting my car remapped they commented on how good the petrol was and i use Shell Optimax so i'd stick with it!
  13. god_thats_quick

god_thats_quick Numptie of the highest order

[Aug 11, 2006]
    The guys from millbrook were also saying that the variations between garages is huge, which I expect explains some stuff, however they said the got fuel from more than one garage as both Shell and BP knew they were doing the tests and lets just say maybe some were trying to cheat!

The rubbish about optimax having better cleaners that ultimate is also ficton by the way.
  14. dgannon69

dgannon69 Member

[Aug 11, 2006]
    I've used as many types of petrol as i can for about a 1000miles on each type.. the best i've had is optimax by far as the car always seems so much more responsive.. Ultimate just seems to make an ultimate hole in my pocket and thats about it. the only one i want to try is tesco 99 but i don't know any tesco near me that sell it...
  15. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 12, 2006]
    I have always used Optimax, until the last 6 months, where I had to fill with BP Ultimate, due to Optimax being sold out! which made my remapped S3 much nicer to drive, seemed more reponsive in the midrange department. But I have recently gone back to using Optimax, because I have noticed the BP ultimate stuff being a bit frothy when filling up, I find it hard to fill the tank to the max with the stuff, due to the pump clicking, and sometimes firing a bit of fuel out from the filler?!
    I have also tested Tescos 99RON in my S3, which felt like rocket fuel at the time, lots of top end and felt quicker at motorway speeds, but the Rolling Road results I had after filling up showed no power increase.
  16. howbigmassive

howbigmassive New Member

[Aug 14, 2006]
    Octane is an anti-knock addidive. So running your car on a higher octane fuel means the ignition can be advanced, which in most cases can result in improved MPG and power.

Running a remapped car on lower octane fuel can damage the engine, however the knock-sensor should retard the ignition in such cases, and you will notice a reduction in engine output.