What oil ???

Gstar51

Reaction score
Just a quicky, my b6 avant is on a long life service. Oil light just come on so just wondering which oil to use to top up until I can drop the oil for the service.

What engine is it? - personally I would go for good fully synthetic oil 5-30 or 5-40.
Oil light coming on is usually quite a bad sign - either dangerously low or low oil pressure - get some in there ASAP.

Just a quicky, my b6 avant is on a long life service. Oil light just come on so just wondering which oil to use to top up until I can drop the oil for the service.

might be worth checking it a bit more regularly. Lol

Which oil light came on? Yellow for low level or red for low pressure?

If it's yellow then you need to bear in mind that these engines do use a bit of oil and should check the oil level every 1000 miles or so.

If it's red then that's altogether more serious as some irreparable damage could have been caused.

Which oil to use? - any that meet the VAG spec printed in the Owners Manual is a good starting point.

Cheers for all the replies, it was the yellow light. Funny enough the wife doesn't tend to check the levels on anything on the car. The only level that she does check on starts in MAKE and ends in UP.
Thanks again

the wife doesn't tend to check the levels on anything on the car.
Neither does my wife, but I do the POWER checks on all our cars each week.

BTW POWER = Petrol, Oil, Water, Electrics (i.e. battery), Rubber (i.e. tyres)