What oil to use??

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
According to my manual I need VW Spec 500 00 or 502 00 (high lubricity) or 501 01 multigrade.

Went to halfords and still really confused.

What do you guys use? Also how many litres do I need?

It's a 1.8T Quattro btw.

there is castrol stuff in halfords, 0w35 fully synthetic. that is maked with one of the VW ratings. the other one i seen was also castrol, 0w30 fully synthetic also marked, but is intended for the long life service stuff. i think 1.8T takes 4.5ltrs. both the above oils one come in 4ltr bottles so an extra ltr bottle will be needed.

Hey guys my car has done 109,000 miles, what oil should i use? as i think 0-30 will be too thin and will sound like a diesel car:(
can either go for a 5-30 or 5-40 or 10-30 or 10-40? what u guys think?
Andy

I went to Halfords got confused, nothing matched the spec number i had got from my manual. So i just went straight to Audi dealership and they sold me oil!

Sorry i can not give you the spec, i am at work and the oil is at home!

:sorry:

I bought 5w30 from halfords - Castrol Edge, supposidly the replacement for the longlife from Audi. £42.50 4 litres

i serviced my 1.8T earlier this year, the oil and spec i used was:

- Motul 8100 Eco-Energy 5w-30 (pdf info link here)

Available from Opieoils

seems to be working a treat and sounds beautiful haha

Motul 0w40 E-Tech from Oilman is Highly Recommended on the TT Forum, I use it too

my engineering director advised the one i stated earlier above to me. we make differentials, gears and axles for a few big companies, Audi being one of them and hes pretty clued up on his oils :D

Tallpaul said:
The best oil for 1.8T's from the best supplier. Sorted.
is that oil not a bit think? i was under the impression that nothing more than the 35

Audi Reading sold me Castrol SLX 5W-30, i couldn't find any oil in halfords that matched up the Audi spec.

Maybe thats just me being special:ermm:

Jampublic said:
Audi Reading sold me Castrol SLX 5W-30, i couldn't find any oil in halfords that matched up the Audi spec.

Maybe thats just me being special:ermm:

i dont think every store stocks it but im sure i seen it in my local one only the other day :yes:

A lot of people seem veyr particular about the type of oil they use, right down to brand.
Really, we have 225Bhp German cars that could probably run fine on a mix of crude and urine if thats all was available.

Does it make 'THAT' much of a difference? I can understand the massive rpm's and high engine temperatures of 800Bhp Skylines showing a favourable result with different oils, but our relatively low powered indestructable Audis?

I run 0-30 Fuchs in mine and its 100% as far as oil goes.....

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i went into my local motorfactors last week intending to buy some 5-40 fully synth, and was recommended i go with the audi recommended 10-40 semi synth, as he told me the 5-40 would be too thin!

so im now running on 10-40 semi synth :S

is that going to do any harm? ive done 400miles on it so far, and no problems that i can see......

Prawn said:
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i went into my local motorfactors last week intending to buy some 5-40 fully synth, and was recommended i go with the audi recommended 10-40 semi synth, as he told me the 5-40 would be too thin!

so im now running on 10-40 semi synth :S

is that going to do any harm? ive done 400miles on it so far, and no problems that i can see......

i believe the only problem that will occur will be the oil sludging up, dont think its a hugh issue though. next time get the fully synthetic stuff ;)

If you want to be super anal about it, next time you do an oil change, send some of the old oil to be analysed buy one of these oil lab companies. You'll get a printout with all the metals that your engine is losing and other contaminants etc.

AFAIK the 40 in the 0-40 is the warm fluidity and the 0 the cold.
so the lower the first number, the easier the oil flows when the engine is cold.
so iits 0-? for me (i think i have 0-30 Mobil 1 right now)

BTW theres a sticker under the hood which says i should use 0-30 castrol somethin or other...do you guys have this?

The turbo's in the S3 and A3 1.8T get HOT, very hot. The oil in your car has to endure, and provide lubrication, in a wider set of conditions than a NA car.

You want your oil to clean and protect your engine right from cold through 'til the engine is at full operating temp and beyond. After all when 'giving it beans' on full-boost your oil temp *could* get to 120degC and be lubricating a turbo that is hundereds of degrees hotter. So all in all a wide and harsh range of conditions.

I use 0w40 Motul E-Tech 8100. An ester based, fully synthetic oil.

The 40 bit means it is VERY good at lubricating at high temps, in fact the esters are fully sheer stable so it's 'better' in that respect than Mobil 1.

The 0w bit relates to flow, 0w flows better than 5w. This means you also get good cold start protection.

How do they achieve cold and hot protection? Well that's because it's fully synthetic and the blend of oils used 'can' :) My synthetic chemistry is probably worse than my organic so i'm happy to trust them ;)

Finally, this Motul oil is approved to VAG 503.1 so Audi think it's good enough for the engine they designed and in reality it far exceeds their minimum requirements. A good job as my engine is producing more power than Audi or it's service schedules intended.

Finally, 'long life' oils are something invented to please fleet managers who love the idea of only servicing their fleet every 20k. Especially when they only have to run the car for 60 - 80k after which the state of the engine is someone elses problem. In the real world these engines should be good for 150K but don't count on it without regularly changing the oil with a quality, fully synthetic brand suitable for your driving. By regularly i mean every 6 months or 5k.

mobil 1 has the correct number on the back for s3's, high-lubricity multigrade oil meeting specifications
vw 503 00
vw 503 01
so its mobil 1 all the way for me!