What Oil Still Confused

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
Hi,I wrote recently asking about what Oil to use in my 1997 1.8t 92,000mls..thanks to those guys who replied before..but I have no more idea now that I had last week..The car has been using Castrol Magnatec 10/40 which is supposed to be a Semi Synthetic..lot's and lot's of opinions have been made regarding this subject on every Forum you go on and I know everyone has their idea of what they might think is best..for example I was told that putting a Fully Synthetic Oil in an older engine that had done close to 100,000 miles was not a good idea..I was thinking of of Mobil 1 but then do you use 0/40 or 10/40..probably the guy has got a point with an older engine that has never ran on fully Synthetic..the whole Oil Saga is confusing to say the least..and while we are on the subject Oil Filters that too is another thing about this car have Audi modified the later Filters because the originals were in adequate or is that wrong info..I would be gratefull for some usefull comments on what Oil and Filter you Guy's use..also I don't and am not interested in Racing around a Track to see how fast the Car with me in it can go so using Oil for that option is not needed...real thanks to all in advance I welcome your thoughts...

Take a look at Opie Oils. These guys post on a lot of forums and are very helpful at recommending the perfect oil for your car. The link below is one of 4 they stock which they recommend for a standard 1.8T B5.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/showprodu...mobil-super-s-10w-40-semi-synthetic-motor-oil

If you register (for free) you will be able to see all of their interesting (if that sort of thing floats your boat) articles on oils and understand why they recommend a particular oil for an application, explanations of what the various terms mean, etc.

If you took your car to Audi they would now refil it with full synth.They used to rcomend semi or mineral but due to long life servicing and heat issues from the small capacity started to casuse sludging issues where the oil was breaking down and cooking to the side of the engine, and blocking oilways etc.

I would stick some flush in and run that as per instructions and then refil with full synth 10/40 and a new filter. Also if you can change the oil more frequently than the 10k or AVS. Most guys here and in the US recomend 6 k intervals to prevent and oil starvation issues,which can potentiay casuse premature turbo failiure and other nasties

M engine has done 90k and runs sweet as a nut since having had to be stripped and cleaned and the pump replaced by the previous owner due to sludging problems.

Other owners on here run full synth on engines that have 150k plus. As long as she isnt burning it there is no reason to assume that changing the formulation will suddenly casuse it to use oil. In fact when warmed up the synth is more likely to have a consistant viscosity over the mineral or semi