What Mileage is too high?

TrisLC

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im currently on the hunt for a B5 1.8T ideally a QTS. Been looking for a few weeks now and there seems to be a big difference in price and in mileage.

The question I have for the experienced is, what Mileage would put you off? I seen them ranging from 80k all the way past 170k.

In fact the 170k had full audi service histroy, so would this be a better bet than a 80k with indy servcing?

Im planning on having whatever car I buy remapped to get a slightly better drive, but would a high mile car cope less with the extra torque etc?

If I bought a car on 170k would I be better off changing the oil pick up?

Any comments, opinions welcomed

Cheers

Tris

Think it's all down to how well the cars been looked after, as your looking at cars that are at least 12 years old, so you would be looking at bushes and seals etc being needing replacing. I Would rather have a car that's got the miles and had that work done. The only thing I can think of if your getting the car remapped is the clutch & DFM, may not be up to the job.

So it maybe worth while checking for clutch replacement in the history then, it would almost be pot luck to weather it started to slip under the extra performance.

I would just add the cost of a replacement clutch to your budget, or one that has been remapped and had a few performance bits added.

Sound advice, ill check in to replacement costs.

That might be one reason to stay clear of super high miles, but again I suppose it depends on the condition of the car.

Im not affriad of the mileage as such, my last few cars have been 130k. But above that is unchartered territory for me, and its what other problens it may bring.

Hi all,

Im currently on the hunt for a B5 1.8T ideally a QTS. Been looking for a few weeks now and there seems to be a big difference in price and in mileage.

The question I have for the experienced is, what Mileage would put you off? I seen them ranging from 80k all the way past 170k.

In fact the 170k had full audi service histroy, so would this be a better bet than a 80k with indy servcing?

Im planning on having whatever car I buy remapped to get a slightly better drive, but would a high mile car cope less with the extra torque etc?

If I bought a car on 170k would I be better off changing the oil pick up?

Any comments, opinions welcomed

Cheers

Tris
Stop wasting your time in looking for low mieage, they are easily clocked...The 1.8T lacks torque but that's easily sorted with a remap and a few carefully chosen mods ! You better forget about full service history and the like, it's dealer's carefully chosen Longlife service intervals that fu*cs these engines up, independents or not they are still using cheapo mineral/semy sinthetic oils hence the engine sludging ! Take the car for the condition is in and not mileage or service history, the duplicate books are a tenner of ebay !
I would look at one that had the a new oil pump or at least the oil pick up cleaned, turbo refurbished, and the clutch replaced. Make sure the gearbox shifts cleanly and there are no odd noises from the suspension.
These cars are getting old in the tooth but you can still get decent examples but it's pot draw ! I have sent you pictures of the blue one if you're still interested, i also have another 1.8TQS, needs some work done but in very good mechanical running order ! Drop me a pm if you're interested...

As above, mileage means nothing.

A cared for and well maintained 170k car is likely to be a better proposition than a neglected car at 120k thats about to need EVERYTHING done to it.

A looked after car is better than a low mileage car. My old hack has just rolled over 161,000 miles, here it is being given an easy life a coupe of weeks ago.

Me1_zpsefa0ce17.jpg

id say it all depends on previous owners how they took care of the car. Low mile cars can be easily clocked cause from my own exp ive noticed that low mile cars have no serv history. My car just went over 190k on the clock and still goes like its 80 k on the clock. i know i had to invest a bit of money into the car like bushes and seals but its gona be forgoten for another good few years.

I always love reading about the cars still going strong at 150k+. Mine has just passed 90k and owned since 18k. Oil changes every 5k with full synthetic. Hopefully will avoid the oil pickup issue. How big job is cleaning this?
There was a lovely India red one forsale recently which looked immaculate but was higher mileage.

Mines sitting at 171k still goes like brown stuff off a shovel. Granted it'll be treated to a minor overhaul over the next few months but at least I know for sure it's got a lot of new parts.

Thanks for your replies,

Well today I took a gamble and bought a 1.8TQS, 170K on the clock!!

The car itself is actually fairly mint, I was really suprised at the interior. No wear at all on any bolster etc

The body work is straight with one small bit of peel under the drivers mirror. The engine was quiet, no rattles on full chat.

It will need a clutch in the coming months, not slipping but the bite is very high. And the discs and pads could do with changing as the brakes are not as sharp as I would want.

But all in all I got the car for a good enough price to take the replacement of the above so im happy so far.

Got a day off on friday now so going to get in the garage, on the ramps and the oil dropped / changed.

Think I need to hit the search button now for some clutch and brake recommendations.

Tris

A looked after car is better than a low mileage car. My old hack has just rolled over 161,000 miles, here it is being given an easy life a coupe of weeks ago.

Me1_zpsefa0ce17.jpg

Thats awesome, gives me some confidence

Also thats a nice looking motor :icon_thumright:

After some reading I believe so, it doesn't slip at all so im going to get the car remapped and if it goes get it done.

We had a B5 1.9 TDI that had covered 250k, sold it in 2007 and I know its still on the road

250k is good going, its shows that engines can live on if they are treated correctly.

Ive just driven to work and the clutch is biting maybe 1/2cm from the top. So ill see how it goes over the coming months.

Looking forward to ordering some bits now

I have alway bought higher mileage cars I bought out B7 with 127k on and that had done 200k The 3.0 TDI I have just bought has 113k FASH and still as tight a as drum. I have never had any catasrophic failures, just the odd wheel bearing a a clutch on the 2.0 TDI B7.

Just as a side note I would not even entertain a Vauxhall/Any French car/Ford with those kind of miles. I used to be a trader and as a rule I avoided Frence cars like the plague.