1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is this on N/S front hub? Sensor??

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Bad Sir Culation, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Bad Sir Culation

Bad Sir Culation Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    I managed to spot this today when I was swapping over the front shocks. What is it? Where should it go? Does the fact it is sat loose like that mean that I now need to replace whatever it is?

Sensor.jpg
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 18, 2014]

3. desertstorm

desertstorm Well-Known Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    Looks like a brake pad wear warning connection. Some brake pads don't come with this facility, I know the yellow stuff ones I had on my Passat didn't and to avoid getting a warning on the dash you need to short out the wires that would goto the pad.

Karl.
  4. sean_s3

sean_s3 Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    Think that's the wiring for the brake pad wear sensor. Should be connected to the rear of the pad if using OEM pads.
  5. Bad Sir Culation

Bad Sir Culation Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    Thanks guys. Haven't had any warnings, so maybe it was connected somewhere and has come out while I've been working on it???

I'll have a try and see if there's anywhere obvious that it can go. Don't particularly want it just flailing about!
  6. sean_s3

sean_s3 Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    If using non standard pads then the sensor can be tricked into thinking its connected and then secure it out of the way.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  7. Bad Sir Culation

Bad Sir Culation Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    I have no idea what they are, to be honest. Any easy way to tell?

How do you trick it?
  8. sean_s3

sean_s3 Member

[Dec 19, 2013]
    From memory its a 2 pronged connection that plugs into the back of the pad, the circuit needs to be complete for the ecu to believe its plugged in. Bit of wire to bridge the 2 connection points together and then secure out of the way. It must have already been done though otherwise you would get a warning sign on the DIS.