What is this and what do it do?

ScottD3

I want your faulty electronics
Supporter
Reaction score
Website
wheelsnwires.blogspot.com
Nicked the photo from this thread (http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/detailing/146550-a3-ibis-white-black-edition-detail-gtechniq.html)

This black plastic cap covers a star bolt item. What is it and what do it do?
Mine keeps going lose.

041.jpg

hold the door on ?

Could be a self destruct button for when you've had enough of the car and want a new one

Threads in the actual hinge may now be worn???

Do you have issues with that door alignment Scott?

Threads in the actual hinge may now be worn???

Do you have issues with that door alignment Scott?

Use to.

The annoying thing is this is a new hinge.
Less than 2 years old I think.
I replaced it in a rush cause the door dropped allot and due to lack of knowledge I bought a set of new hinges to cure the drop.

EDIT:=- No drop at the moment.

When the door hinge drops into the A post hinge, that little bolt keeps the hinge in place. Have you replaced both parts of the hinge???

When the door hinge drops into the A post hinge, that little bolt keeps the hinge in place. Have you replaced both parts of the hinge???

Bought two complete hinges, top and bottom.

I'll take a look tomorrow and give the door a wobble and that bolt a turn and see what happens.

Try to slightly loosen the the bolts in the top hinge (going into the door) take the weight off the door then loosen the little bolt, give the top hinge a bit of a tap down to ensure the pin is sitting right in the other part of the hinge then re-tighten all bolts.

thought about that, but it'd fatigue the metal and weaken it, so dn't fancy that, plus the botom of the door had the plastic trims on it.

The discussion or talk about the best way or proper way to adjust the doors has been talked about in length.
Most people seem to want to bodge it by jacking or shuting the door with a 13mm socket in the hinge.
Like you, I opt for the better correct approach of undoing the bolts and adjusting the door.

Reactions: floyd 1.8 turbo and Mackers
.... never liked botching things,
i've tried looking tho and even looked on google (what a mistake), don't suppose you have the link to hand, by chance.

.... those the 13MM ones yeah?
also i've jus read ya build post, v v v good read :)
the door blades you put on the back, they STD or modified ones, also where did you get the wind delectors from?
Wayne

.... those the 13MM ones yeah?
also i've jus read ya build post, v v v good read :)
the door blades you put on the back, they STD or modified ones, also where did you get the wind delectors from?
Wayne

thats them.

standard.

wind deflectors was from amazon by team heko