What is the best way/place to get rid of swirl marks?

xyz1

Reaction score
I have done a search but can't find that much.

I have a red car and some swirl marks. What is the best thing to do to get rid of all swirls marks?

thanks

You can mask the swirls to some extent using poorboys black hole
glaze

Or as mentioned above a good session with a DA polisher will get rid of them

I have done a search but can't find that much.

I have a red car and some swirl marks. What is the best thing to do to get rid of all swirls marks?

thanks

Search for vehicle detailing mate...everything should be explained on a detailers website and it will also give you an insight into what work is involved....also if you do go down the pro route, dont just go for the ones that are cheapest...not saying get the most expensive out there but there are detailers that travel and are well respected because they do....

Russ

thanks for the replies, and based in cheshire

You can mask the swirls to some extent using poorboys black hole
glaze

Or as mentioned above a good session with a DA polisher will get rid of them
so this can remove with out a DA ? i am using a cheap one at miniute dosnt last long but hides some scratches and beads like mad just dosnt last long turtle wax ice.
so this poor boys is a what wax? polish ?

Reactions: Jimmeh
Yeah I saw his thread! Great work. A bit too far though as I would need to leave the car there

Hi,

being red its a solid colour and swirl removal can be done at home, I have used Chemical Guys all in polish and this removes scratches and swirl marks plus a polish, this worked to some success on my silver B7 but i would guess a solid colour would work best - treat with a good wax - C Guys Butter Wax or Collinite 476S ( see my thread on this ) - you will never beat a buffer but its a good start. Jay

so this can remove with out a DA ? i am using a cheap one at miniute dosnt last long but hides some scratches and beads like mad just dosnt last long turtle wax ice.
so this poor boys is a what wax? polish ?

If you wanted to get rid of swirls for good then a DA is the only way you will achieve this

BH will just mask the swirls or fill them in but over time they will come back

Most won't use BH as a polish, from what I've read most will use something like autoglym SRP then BH then your sealant/wax

The beauty of BH is that when you find some swirls later you can put it on top of your wax/sealant

It's very good stuff if you haven't got the option of a machine polisher

Sorry to jump in, but ive got a misanno red a3 with some minor swirls, I bought a das-6 and 3m pad and polish combo and even the fast cut doesnt seem to touch them swirls. is it just poor technique because i dont want to damage anything, or is there a better combination?

I'm not sure why jay z B said that flat red 'can be done at home' - it's one of the hardest colours paints out there to correct, based on what I've seen from a few Emocion Red Seat's, which I assume is very similar?

willowsdad, don't be too disheartened, you're throwing yourself in at the deep end with the colour you have. Also, the 3M system doesn't work very well via DA I find - much better via Rotary, which is what it was designed for. On a DA, I'd take a look at either the Megs MF system (D300 and the Cutting discs) or CG Hex Logic Pads and something like Megs 105 and 205.

I used the MF system for the first time on this car:

Meguiars MF System and Auto Finesse vs Lupo GTI - Detailing World

and have used it on another 10 since, and it's been superb, especially for good results in a day, on harder paints.

Thanks,

Russ.

reckon i'll just keep her waxed up and as clean as possible over the winter and try again when the days are longer. When i move i am definitely after a garage!

Thanks russ i'll keep that in mind, glad my swirls dont compare to that lupo's, cracking job you done there. i might try the bilt hamber clay too, i've got some ultra fine from a site called juicy detailing and some born slippy lube, but it seems to leave some of the heavier spots behind. Thanks again mate.

No worries mate!

You should remove the fallout and tar before claying - using something like IronX and AutoSmart Tardis, then when you come to clay, there will be very little left for you to contend with.

The 3M polishes work best at higher RPM's on a Rotary (the 'action' is very different to that of a DA') so the Polishes aren't AS effective as others, but they will work. You should be able to get good money for your 3M stuff if you do sell it on though.

Russ.

My shopping list is getting longer by the minute! There are a lot of tar spots under the rear spoiler that need cleaning. At least all this money spent is worth it, and still a lot cheaper than going to a detailer for paint correction. Besides i find it strangely therapeutic! Good job places like these are full of detailing masters to dish out the right advice.

Indeed :)

Tardis is definitely the one to go for for Tar removal, everything else is a chore by comparison. If you look at the Golf R I detailed, you will see what IronX and Tardis do.

Just checked out the golf r on Flickr, someone has either got too much money or no spare time letting it get that dirty! You really do some
awesome work mate, must get some real job satisfaction when something like that is finished.

He's a busy guy - he runs that garage and races bikes in his spare time. I've seen far worse tbh. Thank you though, appreciate the kind words :)

I'd like to mention that you can achieve good correction using the 3m polishes and a da but it does depend on the paint type and of course technique. Also beware that fcp is an aggressive polish which will actually add additional swirls marks to the paintwork from the compound and pads which is why you then need to refine back through the grades.

The yellow fine poly clay is sometimes not aggressive enough, however it is alway important to remove larger tar spots before claying otherwise if the clay picks up the large tar it can cause further damage to the paint. Another good tar remover is Valet Pro Citrus Tar and Glue remover - smells nicer too

Last edited: