what is that rattling noise

Reaction score
hello, just wondering does any know why my 98 a4 makes a rattling noise from the fromt as i drive along over bumps, gear change is quite noisy too although i cant hear anything unless i have the window open so its not that bad, i was thinking it may be loose calipers or else its linked to the power train. this problem does not seem to effect performance in any way, any veiws would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance

quite possible the brake discs are lipped and the pads have worn down so the pad back is rattling against the disc. Whip the wheel off and have a look.

I HAVE NEW DISCS AND PADS ON IT , VERY WELL MAINTAINED

knocking over bumps is usually the front suspension arms

Craigs S4 makes an odd rattling though, that i've never managed to place, and hes had the arms replaced already.

i had that a few months ago. it turned out to be the top suspenion arm ball joint but it can also be the bush on the lower rear arm. hope that helps mate

i had that problem and it was two things it was the top arm joints, i got them done and that fixed the rattle through the steering wheel, the other rattle was one of the down pipes from the manifold, which is probably your problem if you cant fill it through the steering wheel. you here it most on coble stoned roads

Um, maybe the pad retainer springs? Best to replace with new ones when changing pads and discs as the exisiting ones can get bent on removal if they get a bit stuck on there. Gear change... not sure.

graham A4> Did you manage to fix this problem with your car? I've got the same problem with the avant I recently bought and was wondering what you did in the end to fix it?

Cheers